1998 chrysler concord

Old 10-14-03, 06:41 PM
richyd36
Visiting Guest
1998 chrysler concord

hello we have a 1998 chrysler concord with a v 6 engine . this car runs great until you step on the gas to increase speed and it blows 1 of the vacum hoses off of the egr valve .and then begins running bad until you put the hose back on. we have replaced the egr valve and put a clamp on the hose but it still blows off .any ideas as to what might cause this? any help is greatly appreciated thanks in advance

Old 10-14-03, 06:54 PM
Doug66
Visiting Guest
hi, i would suggest buying a new hose at your dealership. i have a '95 grand am v6 with an egr but it doesn't have any hoses on it, unless you mean the pipe that runs out the bottom of it. oh well, sorry i dont have any better advice. doug

Old 10-14-03, 07:05 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
depends on which of the three hoses is blowing off

i'm assuming you have a 3.2/3.5L, the 2.7L has an all electronic valve

Old 10-14-03, 07:10 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
forget that

all 98 LH bodies have an electronic valve

are you sure it's a 98

Old 10-14-03, 07:13 PM
richyd36
Visiting Guest
sorry guys it is a 97 the hose that blows off goes to the bottom of a plastic round thing with electric wires going to it

Old 10-14-03, 10:00 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
did you replace just the valve, or the valve and transducer(the round black thing with the wires)?

the transducer always goes bad, never the valve. i've never bought one from the aftermarket, so i don't know if it comes with both, i do know from a dealer you can ONLY get both.

one transducer port is labeled 'vac'--this hose should go directly to manifold vacuum.

opposite that port on the transducer should be one labeled 'egr' or 'valve' this should obviously go right to the port on the valve above the diaphragm.

on the bottom of the transducer should be a hose going to the 'bottom' of the egr valve. this hose is connected directly to the exhaust system, meaning there should be fumes and heat and slight pressure from this steel pipe.

make sure the hoses are hooked up correctly first, that one bottom hose looks to me to be a different kind of rubber, maybe a silicone based hose, so it can withstand the heat.

it can be confusing to hook the hoses up correctly, based on where the assembly is hidden, i tried to describe it as clear as mud, hopefully that's the problem.

if it was always hooked up correctly, you might have an exhaust system backpressure problem, too much pressure would make that hose pop off, but you would also notice a big loss in engine power too with this(to pop a clamped hose off).

the wires mean nothing to you, they only prevent egr flow when it isn't desired, so, unplugging it would make the system always work(and trip the check engine light too)

let us know if this helps

Old 10-15-03, 03:47 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Yes, to Mike's question.

The Chrysler valves I have seen in the aftermarket came with the transducer like OE.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: