Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Pumping gas

Visiting Guest

10-13-03, 11:54 AM   #1  
mikelot
Pumping gas

Hi, perhaps some one can explain a funny situation.
When I (or station attendent) tries to pump gas into my 1998 Ford Contour it keeps knocking off the pump nozzle. It acts as if the gas tank was full.
It seems to be intermitten, as the last two times
I had no problem and the tank was filled full with no shutting off of the nozzle.
To-day the problem came back.
Would appreciate all and any information here.
Mike L.

Sponsored Links

10-13-03, 12:36 PM   #2  
Seems to be a problem with the on board vapor recovery system. Maybe a check valve sticking.

Also seem to remember somebody else having a problem with this on Ford, possible TSB?

Larry

Visiting Guest

10-13-03, 12:41 PM   #3  
Joe_F
The type of station equipment and the station have alot to do with it.

Whenever my coworker would fill his GM wagon (88 Caprice), it was always shutting the automatic shutoff for the pump. You had to force it and feed it manually. Multiple stations did this with this vehicle, except a few and they were graded slightly differently or had different nozzles (OPW versus Wheaton or something like that).

And, ding, ding, ding, Larry is correct:

98-15-3 AUG 98 Fuel Tank - Frequent Nozzle Shutoff When Fueling

You may also wish to check out ALL the bulletins and recalls (there have been a ton on this vehicle). No engine size given, I assumed a 2.0 4 cylinder here:

http://alldata.com/TSB/19/98194179.html

Visiting Guest

10-15-03, 07:37 AM   #4  
mikelot
Thank you. will look into it
Mikelot

Search this Thread