Transmission problem

Old 10-13-03, 04:31 PM
Vet101
Visiting Guest
Angry Transmission problem

Just installed a used 4-Speed (72 Muncie) in a Vet IM building, Run thru 1st 2nd 3rd and R with it on blocks but it would not go in to 4th. It tryed but no go. Can it be just the linkage?
Was told it was in fine shape. (New Clutch too)

Old 10-13-03, 10:50 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
does it go into fourth with the engine off?

go underneath the car and watch when someone else goes through all the gears, you'll see a patern. rear lever is 1st and 2nd(back is 1, forward is 2) front lever is 3rd and 4th(back is 3, forward is 4) if that front lever isn't moving forward, it might be a linkage problem. take the linkage off that front lever and try to push it by yourself all the way forward(engine off of course)you might have to wiggle the back tires a little bit to make things line up.

if it still won't go, it's likely a bearing problem inside(4th gear is the input shaft splined to the output shaft)if the bearing is worn or missing, the shafts will never line up. don't forget that you have to have the correct pilot bearing in the back of the crankshaft too, this will cause your problem too!

if it does go, you need to properly adjust the linkage. a service manual is a good way to follow for adjusting these.

let us know where you get

ps. what did you ever find with that carb problem?

Old 10-14-03, 03:59 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Might also check with a dealer's parts counter and have a look at the various part #s for the linkages in the years/trannies used.

If the part #s are the same, they are compatible. If not, they possibly can work, but it's not likely.

Old 10-16-03, 02:15 PM
Vet101
Visiting Guest
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mike from nj
[B]does it go into fourth with the engine off?

go underneath the car and watch when someone else goes through all the gears, you'll see a patern. rear lever is 1st and 2nd(back is 1, forward is 2) front lever is 3rd and 4th(back is 3, forward is 4) if that front lever isn't moving forward, it might be a linkage problem. take the linkage off that front lever and try to push it by yourself all the way forward(engine off of course)you might have to wiggle the back tires a little bit to make things line up.

if it still won't go, it's likely a bearing problem inside(4th gear is the input shaft splined to the output shaft)if the bearing is worn or missing, the shafts will never line up. don't forget that you have to have the correct pilot bearing in the back of the crankshaft too, this will cause your problem too!

if it does go, you need to properly adjust the linkage. a service manual is a good way to follow for adjusting these.

let us know where you get

ps. what did you ever find with that carb problem?

Yes, I did get the carb working great. I was a Vac leak and dirty.
Now the trans. problem!!!!

Old 10-16-03, 03:09 PM
Vet101
Visiting Guest
YES, It will go into 4th and stay in, if I put it in (Hold down the Clutch)and start the car. The rear is up on blocks. How what?
But if I take it out with the car running it will not go back.
Please tell me its just the clutch linkage needs ajusting and nothing major.
And thanks for all the help. SD

Old 10-16-03, 06:44 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
it can't be the clutch linkage, or else it wouldn't go into any gears.

what kind of pilot bearing/bushing did you put into the end of the crankshaft of this fresh engine??

Old 10-16-03, 06:56 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bad blocker ring and or synchro for 4th

Larry

Old 10-17-03, 09:11 AM
Vet101
Visiting Guest
pilot bearing that came with clutch.

Bad blocker ring and or synchro for 4th ????

Old 10-17-03, 09:21 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Means the tranny has internal problems. Disassembly required.

Old 10-18-03, 08:58 AM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
vet----i wasn't trying to insult your intelligence, it's just that most clutch sets that i've gotten, only came with the throwout bearing and not a pilot bearing, and every crankshaft that i've gotten back from the machine shop(or new) came without the pilot bearing(a bushing for a GM) in the back of it. without that (pilot)bearing there, the input shaft moves up and down and 4th gear will never engage smoothly. i was trying to eliminate the easy stuff first. now it seems like the only thing it can be is internal problems, because it went right in with the engine off.

Old 10-19-03, 03:12 PM
Vet101
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by mike from nj
vet----i wasn't trying to insult your intelligence, it's just that most clutch sets that i've gotten, only came with the throwout bearing and not a pilot bearing, and every crankshaft that i've gotten back from the machine shop(or new) came without the pilot bearing(a bushing for a GM) in the back of it. without that (pilot)bearing there, the input shaft moves up and down and 4th gear will never engage smoothly. i was trying to eliminate the easy stuff first. now it seems like the only thing it can be is internal problems, because it went right in with the engine off.
Man. That sucks the car was a frame off and now I have to pull the trans. Thanks for the Info.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: