91 Hyundai cruise control

Old 10-14-03, 08:19 AM
tenny
Visiting Guest
Question 91 Hyundai cruise control

I have a 91 Hyundia that the cruise control will not engage. It was working fine and no other repairs were done to the car. What and where should I start looking for?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-03, 08:59 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Check if the fuse is blown, that's #1. Also check for any vacuum lines or plugs off at the servo under the hood.

Barring that, you'll have to get a good schematic of the system from a shop manual and dive in.

Old 10-14-03, 10:36 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
this mitsubishi cruise system is actually pretty complex, but the entire system can be diagnosed with a regular volt meter, most old jap cars have two speed sensors, one in the trans and one in the speedo head. without a 'good' diagnostic book or a voltmeter, you're basically guessing. it will take some time and you may need to reread some steps, but it can be done.

yes, the fuse is usually the first and easiest to check. second is to look at your brake lights and see how far you have to push the brake pedal to make them work. i remember dodge colts(mitsu.) from that era had a rubber stopper on the brake pedal that pushed in the actual brake switch. with age, that rubber stopper got a dimple in it and wouldn't let the lights shut off, and no cruise either. you might be right on the threshhold, where pushing 1/4 of a mm will trip the lights and normal road vibration is turning on the brake lights=no cruise. it's at the top of the brake pedal, you need to lay on your back and look up with a light.

let us know how it goes.

Old 10-20-03, 05:03 AM
tenny
Visiting Guest
Mike from nj your suggestion to check the brake switch was right on. The contacts were bad , cleaned them and the cruise worked. The contacts are in bad shape so new switch is on order.

Old 10-20-03, 08:31 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
i'm seriously glad to hear it, and thanks for posting back, it helps others too.