Who made Atlas Tires?

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-03, 06:39 PM
Who made Atlas Tires?

Does anyone know who made Atlas Tires? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-03, 06:52 PM
Talk about a name from the past! In my high school days, 1964, I worked at an ESSO station in the DC area. Esso sold Atlas but the number of tire manufacturers has dropped drastically since then. Like most "private label" type products, they may have used different factories at different times, or for different sizes, or grades etc. If you have some old tires there might be some markings that might identify them.

Also you might try contacting the guy that does the mechanical talk (Pat?) on Motorweek on PBS. Back in the 70s he owned a (Gulf?) station in the Riverdale Maryland area and he sold a lot of tires. He might know who was making for the big gas retailers.

I know this isn't an answer but might get you started down a "trail".

Good luck

Frank

Old 10-15-03, 04:07 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You could also contact the tire folks and ask them too.

Old 10-15-03, 08:41 PM
Atlas tires were sold by the Standard Oil Co., which became Amoco, which is now BP. I highly suspect they may have been made by different major tire companies at different times. Just as I used to watch them put the same oil in bottles with different labels such as Standard Oil, Motocraft etc.

All tires do have a code on them that indicates the manufacturer. I believe it is a DOT (dept. of transportation) requirement. You will need a list to match the code to the manufacturer. I do not know if the manufacturer codes are still the same as they were then.

Old 10-15-03, 10:57 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
i always thought Standard Oil became S. O. which became esso, which became exxon

i thought amoco came from AMerican Oil COmpany

maybe i'm mistaken

Old 10-16-03, 06:23 AM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Some 50 yrs ago when I ran a standard station, atlas was about the only tire that was stocked and sold, came wrapped in paper. Escapes me however who they were made by. Anymore, CRS...

Old 10-16-03, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by mike from nj
i always thought Standard Oil became S. O. which became esso, which became exxon

i thought amoco came from AMerican Oil COmpany

maybe i'm mistaken
I think Standard Oil Co. and their successors did operate under different names in different parts of the country. However the progression of names in the midwest was as I stated. My father worked for them for over 30 years.

(I sure wish I had all the glass, white, red and gold crowns from the pumps that I helped destroy when they changed the pumps to a different style!!!

Closed Thread