Leaking Radiator

Old 10-15-03, 02:28 PM
Leaking Radiator

I have a "small" leaking coming from my radiator. Is it advisable to use the pellet type stop leaks that you put into the radiator.?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-03, 02:44 PM
not good

I am sure that Joe the moderator will tell you the same thing don't use it get it fixed properly. There is no band aid in a bottle for your cars. This Stuff just messes things up it goes thru the whole cooling system and is no good
I have used it in my younger years before I knew better and it just does not work.
I finally changed the radiator but the stuff never really was out till the day I sold the truck.
My system always had some residue in it even after flushing.

Old 10-15-03, 03:03 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Like M.V sez, fix it right the first time. Lots of stuff in bottles but dont advise using any of them unless you are going to unload the vehicle. Use the sealers and you only create another problem.

Old 10-16-03, 08:09 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Arrow

I couldn't have said it better than either of these guys already have.

Fix the problem correctly.....

Old 10-16-03, 12:38 PM
Thanks to all.....I understand the reason why but I thought that there might be a less expensive solution than replacing the radiator.

Old 10-16-03, 12:42 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
A new radiator is less expensive than a new cooling system or car though .

Old 10-16-03, 12:54 PM
Repair

I don't know but you might take it to a shop and have them repair the old one and boil it out. I have had this done once and they did a fine job.
However with the new units made of plastic and aluminum I don't know. Check it out you have to remove it anyway.You have to be the judge on repair cost vs replacment.

Old 10-16-03, 01:02 PM
another option

If you are on a fixed income and you can see the leak and it is not in the core lets say it is on the top or bottom tank not on a seam try some Epoxy JB weld comes to mind but this is also a temp repair. Make sure you clean the area real well and scuff up the surface and wipe with alcohol before putting epoxy on.
What ever you do don't put anything in the system.

Old 10-16-03, 01:43 PM
If you pull the radiator a good radiator shop can boil it out and repair it for about 60/75$ a lot cheaper than a new radiator.

Old 10-17-03, 06:54 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
EW:

Depends on the application too. I am replacing the radiator on my friend's 91 Dodge Shadow tomorrow.

The radiator is $100 for it. Given a cost of $75 to repair it, I'd rather have a brand new one. We'll see what brand or quality it is tomorrow.

I got one for my cousin's 1993 Taurus from this same place and it was an OEM Ford/Visteon unit for $125. .

Old 10-17-03, 07:19 AM
Again, I thank you guys for all the input and to Joe F, my fellow New Yorker, the Yankees proved who the real champs are.