Catalytic Converter

Old 10-16-03, 06:55 AM
olskool
Visiting Guest
Catalytic Converter

1995 S-10 2.2L. I was driving Last week when my check engine light came on. I have recently had a tuneup becase of a misfire. I had someone to pull the code and it read P0402 which is a code for a bad Cat Converter. I have not noticed in loss in performance or driveabilty. How long can I go without problems with my catalytic converter? This is a expensive part and I am strapped for cash.

Old 10-16-03, 07:36 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Catalytic converters usually don't go bad on their own, something causes them to fail.

Get the car to a good shop that can diagnose WHY you are getting that code. Just because the code comes up does not mean the converter is bad.

Old 10-16-03, 07:39 AM
olskool
Visiting Guest
Could the Misfire have casued it to fail.

Old 10-16-03, 07:49 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Absolutely. Misfire=too much fuel through the exhaust which will lunch a converter in a heartbeat.

Misfire IS a root cause of converter failure.

Old 10-16-03, 07:57 AM
olskool
Visiting Guest
If it were the Cat would the car show sings of problems happen now or would they gradually come about?

Old 10-16-03, 08:00 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
If you had a misfire and drove it like that for a while, you probably lunched the converter.

OBDII cars are VERY sensitive to misfires and any found must be corrected ASAP or you will have problems as you can see.

Old 10-16-03, 01:41 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
As far as driveability the converter failing usually clogs and you will feel a real loss of power similar to a plugged fuel filter. Loss of power is due to exhaust system plugging at the converter and it gets pretty tough on the engine and puts some serious heat on the manifolds.
If you're not feeling a power loss now, you can probably go for a little while before you change it out. (A lot of people don't realize the failure until it begins to clog.)
Right now it's probably not working properly to clean your exhaust emmisions as well as it should.

If it were mine, I'd clear the code and drive it a bit to see if it codes again.

Old 10-16-03, 02:05 PM
B
I THINK U MIGHT HAVE MEANT A P0420.
THIS MEANS THE CAT IS NOT DOING IT'S JOB.
THIS MAY OR MAY NOT MANIFEST ITSELF AS A DRIVEABILITY PROBLEM, IT MAY JUST MEAN THAT THE S.E.S. LIGHT IS GOING TO COME ON, AND THE TAILPIPE EMISSIONS WON'T BE AS CLEAN AS INTENDED. IF DOES CAUSE A DRIVEABILITY PROBLEM, IT WILL MANIFEST ITSELF AS LOSS OF POWER, ESPECIALLY WHEN CALLING ON IT FOR MORE POWER, SUCH AS ACCELERATING, ESPECIALLY AT HIGHER SPEEDS. IT COULD COME ON GRADUALLY, OR QUICKLY.

Old 10-16-03, 02:11 PM
B
I THINK U MIGHT HAVE MEANT A P0420.
THIS MEANS THE CAT IS NOT DOING IT'S JOB.
THIS MAY OR MAY NOT MANIFEST ITSELF AS A DRIVEABILITY PROBLEM, IT MAY JUST MEAN THAT THE S.E.S. LIGHT IS GOING TO COME ON, AND THE TAILPIPE EMISSIONS WON'T BE AS CLEAN AS INTENDED. IF DOES CAUSE A DRIVEABILITY PROBLEM, IT WILL MANIFEST ITSELF AS LOSS OF POWER, ESPECIALLY WHEN CALLING ON IT FOR MORE POWER, SUCH AS ACCELERATING, ESPECIALLY AT HIGHER SPEEDS. IT COULD COME ON GRADUALLY, OR QUICKLY.

Old 10-16-03, 04:27 PM
To answer your cost question...YES they are expensive, esp. OEM cats, and most newer cars I've seen have more than one.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: