Old chevy not running good

Old 10-17-03, 02:10 PM
Old chevy not running good

I have an old chevy truck with a 350 in it that i just use for plowing snow and hauling wood. A couple of years ago i had a new edelbrock carb and 8 new plugs put in. In its life its also had valve, cam and lifter service. When i started it up to haul wood this fall it was missing and got worse. Know 2 or 3 or more cylinders wont run. I took the air breather off and there was about a cup of birdseed in the air breather and i have had mice live in it before. What does this problem sound like to you guys, I dont really want to take the carb apart because I have never really tinkered with automotive carbs just small engines. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-03, 02:29 PM
I would

I would start with a good tune up new Cap and roter new wires oil change,You never know the mice might have chewed some wires or vacuam lines.check all these things.Buy some carb cleaner spray,a new fuel filter.Those 350s are hard to kill I bet it is something simple like a mouse ate you plug wires.(I bet he would not do that with truck running)

Old 10-18-03, 08:15 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree.

Old 10-21-03, 04:05 PM
thanks for the help guys. I will try checking out these things and get back to you. Looks like i might need the truck right off anyway since its snowing during another beautiful fall day lol.

P.S. I have never understood these bigger carbs is there any websites were i could get some info? Thanks again

Old 10-21-03, 06:33 PM
No point in learning carbs now, they're dinasours already.....

Really unless you had a fuel tank problem or you know your getting a flooding problem, it's not likely anything got inside. Look around for damage your critters could have done on the exterior of the engine...wires, rubber hoses etc.

Old 10-22-03, 06:38 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Best bet on carburetor information:

GM shop manual or Doug Roe's Quadrajet book.

Ebay.com for both.