Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Windshield Wipers on 95 Continental

Visiting Guest

10-17-03, 03:35 PM   #1  
frankswsj

Wipers do not return to full bottom position when turned off - they are 3+ inches above the bottom position. They do this all the time now - but can be pushed down manually after engine is shut down. How do I cure this problem ?

Frank

Sponsored Links

10-18-03, 07:06 AM   #2  
Replace the wiper motor, If you buy one from Ford you may have to have a wiring kit some models they do this to? If it was me check at Auto Zone for a motor. Alot cheeper and work fine.

Fix it Right the First Time! Ford's saying

Visiting Guest

10-18-03, 10:16 AM   #3  
mike from nj
the reason ford or anybody gives you a connector with the motor is because they are selling you the latest model (with all it's upgrades) motor available, as it would fit the current production year, but the connector adapts it back to your 95 model year wiring.

if you can push the linkage down, i would be looking closely at the linkage for a worn bushing somewhere, i've seen this on other makes and models where a bushing wears out, the wiper motor 'parks' as it should, but the wipers never caught up because of the wear. the wear could even be inside the motor, however unlikely.

grab the wipers and try to move them up and down, then closely look at everything and see what's worn.

Visiting Guest

10-18-03, 07:19 PM   #4  
Joe_F
I agree with Mike. Many Fords of this era have problems with the park box for the wiper motor.

Visiting Guest

10-20-03, 09:37 PM   #5  
frankswsj

It is not yet clear to me how to get to the linkage to check for wear - they made it tough in this car. However, I have another observation that may shed light on my problem: The wipers work fine in all positions and move through the entire distance they should. The ONLY thing they don't do is to return to the full closed position and 'lock' in that position - even when you push them down to that position. They do 'lock' in the full open position if pushed there with wiper motor off. By the way since I started moving the wipers around manually, they now 'park' about 8" above where they should. Any new ideas ?

Thanks,
Frank

Visiting Guest

10-21-03, 07:15 AM   #6  
Joe_F
Try tapping on the motor the next time it happens. Perhaps the park switch is stuck....barring that, get to the linkage/motor and observe it as suggested by others.

Search this Thread