Broken Tension Pully!!

Old 10-19-03, 04:20 PM
Angry Broken Tension Pully!!

My car a 1991 Chevy Corsica LT 3.1L V6 blew its alternator,
I bought a new one, when I put a breaker bar on the tension pully for the serpentine belt, it moved about 2 inches then BROKE IN HALF, so now I have to replace that also. I could not get a rachet wrench in on it (tight space), so how do I change it?? I thought about taking the wheel off then the splash guard, but I really have no idea. Any help or tips will be more than welcome!!
Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-03, 04:23 PM
If I remember correctly, there is a nut on the back that can be accessed from the underside of the back of the engine. I think it's held on by one bolt.

Old 10-19-03, 04:30 PM
Doug66
Visiting Guest
hi there. i have a '95 grand am 3.1 v6. i replaced my tentioner a couple years ago and went through same problem. there may be a special tool for the job but, what i did was take off right wheel and splashsheild and drilled hole big enough to fit rachet extension through metal wheelwell. start out with a smaller size bit and work it open about 3/4 of an inch. AND MAKE SURE NO FEUL LINES ARE IN THE WAY! also, make sure where you drill is in alignment to tentioner bolt. hope this helps, doug

Old 10-19-03, 04:40 PM
NO, NO NO

Don't drill any holes in your car. I believe this is a 1 bolt tensioner nutted from the rear. If not, you can access it from the front side. You don't have to drill holes.

Old 10-20-03, 04:39 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Check autolibrary.org for a diagram or R&R procedure. Don't drill holes