Help Please, On Hood Latch

Old 10-19-03, 06:26 PM
Help Please, On Hood Latch

Hi,

I have a (problemed) 1995 Nissan Pathfinder, Model XE-V6. that has close to 88,000 miles on it.

Could anybody please give me some advice unlatching the hood? In the past, I pulled the handle release below the instrument panel, the hood sprung up slightly and I reached the lever that unlatches. Today, I pulled the handle below the instrument panel and the hood did not spring up; I reached into the grill, pushed the lever and tried pushing the hand up, and the hood does not budge. So, it appears the handle mechanism is the problem.

Has anybody had a similar problem with your hood??

Thank you in advance,
EDTA

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-03, 06:30 PM
Have someone hold the lever out on the inside of the car while you go out to the front and lightly bang the front of the hood down with the bottom side of a closed fist. The jar should make it pop up. If this works it means your latch alignment is off slightly making it bind.

Old 10-19-03, 06:45 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Also a little grease on these latches about 3 times a year sure helps.

Old 10-19-03, 07:29 PM
WORKED!!

Desi501--

Thank you so much for the suggestion; my wife went and tugged on the handle and I banged the top of the area with the bottom of my fist. The hood did not spring up, but pushing the lever up caused the hood to open--unbelievable, it WORKED!!

Now, to the actual problem (reason why I went to open hood in the first place--to look at break fluid). My wife came home and I notice the driver side front break area was smoking. So, I sprinkled a little water onto the rotor and it sizzled, probably meaning the the disc breaks were locking. Question:

1. How does one go about to find out whether it's the caliber, bad disc. master cylinder or valves that's causing this problem with the front driver side breaks?

I redid the breaks late last year, putting new front(plus new rotors) and back(drum) breaks so now there's about 10,000 miles on the new breaks. Also, I put in a new caliber on the passenger front.

2. I also notice the CV boot was torn, so it looks like that's going to have to be replaced. How much work would that involve??

Again, Thank you in advance,
ET

Old 10-19-03, 07:32 PM
GREASE UNTO THE HINGES

Darrell--

Thank you also for the greasy advice; I did that as soon as the hood opened up...

Please see the other question I posted.

Regards,
ET

Old 10-20-03, 04:27 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Your brake problem could be clogged front rubber hoses. Replace them both and rebleed.

You probably noticed a slight pull to one side. If so, one side is dragging.