Automobile maintenance (BMW M3)

Old 10-20-03, 03:32 PM
U
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Automobile maintenance (BMW M3)

Hi-

I own a '98 BMW M3 sedan with 37,000 miles. This car "tells" you when it's due for service, and that magic light came on. Looking in my car's Service and Warranty Information Manual, it says it is due for one of the "extensive" maintenance checks, which when I called the dealership would run 900 bucks. I bought the Bentley maintenance manual for the car, and it said that this maintenance check had such items as "check rear window defroster functioning" and other seemingly ridiculous stuff for the dealer to make money inspecting.

Anyway, out of all the items on the "extensive" maintenance list, these seemed legitimate, so I'm asking you all if I should have the following items reparied/replaced or if it's just another dealer gimmick....

1) Replace coolant/flush system (I have never done this during the life of the car)

2) Replace brake fluid (is this necessary unless the fluid is contaminated?)

3) Replace clutch fluid (I have a manual transmission. Again is this necessary if the fluid is not contaminated?)

4) Replace spark plugs

5) Replace fuel filter

Which of the above 5, if any, should I have done to keep my car in good maintenance?

Thanks,
Steve

Old 10-20-03, 04:41 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Ya, that is BMW for ya. (Broke My Wallet). One of the "benefits" of this car: high maintenance, sky high parts prices and such

You have the right idea here. You've got the Bentley manual which is the OEM one or just as good from what I recall. The five items you mention are good at this mileage to go with and I'd agree with all of them.

Old 10-20-03, 07:04 PM
U
Thanks

Joe F-

Thanks for the info and confirming my suspicions. Yeah, it's expensive but I knew that getting into it 5 1/2 years ago! It's a price I'm willing to pay for a great car!!

Old 10-20-03, 07:16 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Steve: I agree with Joe. The brake & clutch fluid are often overlooked as maintenance items. They absorb moisture over time which leads to corrosion of the master cylinder, calipers, & wheel cylinders. Just take a look at the fluid in the master cylinder. It was clear or amber when new.

Anti lock systems can be damaged by comtaminated fluid and are very expensive to replace.

If you want to stay on top of it coolant & brake fluid should be changed every 2 years. It is surprising that many maintenence schedules do not mention brake & clutch fluid.

Old 10-21-03, 06:40 AM
U
Thanks

Thanks car nut! I will have it done.

Old 10-21-03, 06:55 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Let us know the outcome.

Old 10-21-03, 07:11 AM
U
Thanks

Thanks Joe_F........the outcome will be that when I take the car to a NON BMW maintenance repair facility on Monday, I will have all the fluids changed......

Old 10-21-03, 07:13 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Sure, a Bosch service center or a good independent can easily handle the repairs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: