1987 Jimmy transmission problems

Old 10-20-03, 06:14 AM
chevygirl
Visiting Guest
1987 Jimmy transmission problems

I've got a 1987 GMC Jimmy with automatic transmission. The transmission started acting up out of the blue. It sounds like it winds to tight when kicking in to 2nd and drive. It doesn't shift into 2nd until about 30-35mph, and drive at about 40-45 mph. When it does kick in, it kind of throws me a little. All other gears seem to be fine. Any suggestions? I don't know when the fluid was last changed, as I haven't owned it very long. I got it from my grandpa, who said he never had any trouble with it. I was wandering if it could be the screen. All suggestions will be appreciated, as always!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-03, 07:15 AM
Sounds like either a throttle pressure valve hanging up or a governor problem. Either way it's a tough one to diag. in this forum.

Old 10-20-03, 09:27 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Mileage?

Sounds like you're looking at a teardown/rebuild here....(or minimally some internal work)

Early 700R4s (many had this....are we talking an overdrive 700R4 or a Turbo 400 in this beast??) had a myriad of problems.

Old 10-21-03, 05:24 AM
chevygirl
Visiting Guest
It's got 105,000 miles on it. And it has the smaller engine with overdrive, I think 2.8. The fluid doesn't look dark at all as it usually does when it's really old. And it doesn't slip it just kicks in way too late every time. Once I get it past 45 it's fine. I'm going to have the fluid and filter change today, just to be safe. Hopefully it will help. I'll keep you posted.

BTW, could it have anything to do with the bands needing to be adjusted? I got that from another post and was just wandering.

Old 10-21-03, 05:35 AM
There is no band adjustment. Also , I don't think a fluid and filter is going to help. I suppose you could check the governor. There is a stamped sheet metal round cover, about four inches in diameter, on the side of the transmission, if you pry that cover off, the governor is behind it. Just pull the governor out, check the driven teeth on the gear for "apple coring". Also check the pivots, they look like finish nails, the weights pivot on those and can sometimes break. Hold the governor vertically, gear side up, and squeeze the weights in, they should move freely, and the valve inside should move up and down as u move weights in and out...
Not easy job to get that cover off on a 4wd, especially on the ground...