Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

location of voltage regulator on 87 chrysler newyorker?

Visiting Guest

10-20-03, 08:30 AM   #1  
him3951
location of voltage regulator on 87 chrysler newyorker?

Can't seem to find the external voltage regulator on a 1987 chrysler newyorker anywhere? Does anyone know where the heck it's located?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-20-03, 09:15 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Doesn't have one externally. Computer controlled charging in many cases on Chrysler. Some Chrysler alternators don't even have serviceable parts from the OEM.

Usually discharging means alternator replacement, but what is the actual problem?

Visiting Guest

10-20-03, 09:18 AM   #3  
him3951
Overcharging

alt gauge shows max and appears to be overcharging and burning out battery.

Visiting Guest

10-20-03, 09:21 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Check it with a DVOM, the dash gauge is mostly useless and inaccurate.

Has the alternator been checked for fault on the bench?

10-20-03, 04:49 PM   #5  
If it's a fuel injected engine, the regulator is in the ECM or power module as they call it. I have installed an external (ford, I believe) regulator on some of them in the past when the ECM had failed. I had the schematic written down but I don't think I have it any more.

Visiting Guest

10-20-03, 08:29 PM   #6  
mike from nj
the engine is most likely a 3.0L, is it?

the regulator is most likely inside the computer. i've often thought about using an external one if mine ever went bad(like the kind off an old dodge truck)it's good to hear that someone else has already done this, with success.

you need to put a voltmeter on the battery while it's running, anything higher than 14.5 volts is causing damage to stuff and you should stop driving immediately. the dash gauge isn't accurate to the 'volt' but it is usually a good indicator of what's going on under the hood. if it's pegged, there could be a problem.

regulators 99% of the time fail 'dead', not 'full charge' if it is indeed a 3.0L, pull the wiring harness away from the exhaust crossover pipe, as a field wire could easily be grounded and causing this problem, the wire runs from the back of the alt. along the back of the intake manifold, right to the battery area. if moving the harness makes the system voltage come back down to 14 volts, you've found the grounded wire.

let us know

10-20-03, 08:47 PM   #7  
the old dodge external regulators are easy to hook up to bypass the pcm but in most cases will cause the power loss light or check engine light to come on setting a code for the alternater field circuit other than that they charge fine.

Visiting Guest

10-20-03, 09:17 PM   #8  
mike from nj
that's music to my ears BJ, i can live with a light on vs. a new pcm

Search this Thread