hard starting

Old 10-20-03, 10:31 AM
pakeha
Visiting Guest
hard starting

my 84 dodge ramcharger takes for ever to start after sitting overnight...i have to pump the gas pedal about 40 times and it finally fires up...or i can start it quicker by squirting starter fluid in the carburetter....once started for the first time have no problem all day...until the next morning...would appreciate any ideas

Old 10-20-03, 04:57 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Check your fuel pump outlet pressure with a gauge and see what you get. Autozone can rent you one. Sounds like an old and tired mechanical fuel pump.

Another possibility is carburetor/choke problems, which are likely. Chrysler's (or Holley's and Carter's which they used) is the rock bottom pits.

Old 10-20-03, 08:44 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
and knowing the quality of his carb helps him how?

would a tired and worn out fuel pump hurt cold starting performance, or would it hurt all around performance, especially accelleration when there is the highest demand for fuel?

if it was a 360, could it even have a quadrajet?

uh oh.

pakeha----without touching anything else, after it sits overnight, take off the air filter lid and look at the carb top. the choke should be open. push the linkage for the gas pedal and see if there is a stream of fuel squirting into the carb(use a flashlight if neccessary to look inside it) and at the same time, the choke should slam shut. (this is all with the engine off, and without touching the gas pedal at all initially)

let us know what happens

Old 10-21-03, 06:53 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Because they are all notorious leakers, including the well plugs on the Q-jet, which is easily fixed with a 4 dollar kit .

The others on the other hand, have been akin to Chrysler and their stellar wet weather performance (ya know well that old Chryslers and rain don't mix..lol).

Likely in the carburetor. Either old in need of a rebuild or out of adjustment. But all should be checked.

Old 10-21-03, 08:40 AM
pakeha
Visiting Guest
thanks for all your help...i removed the automatic choke a long time ago and installed a manual choke..i really thing the carburetter needs a rebuild..but will try the fuel pump replacemnt first and see if that helps...thanks again

Old 10-21-03, 09:39 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Ahhh, a new piece of information!

Make sure that the choke you set up is working properly. Why would you use one of those blasted things? LOL.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: