87 Buick Cronic Stalling Problem

Closed Thread

Old 10-21-03, 06:59 PM
Spoogee
Visiting Guest
87 Buick Cronic Stalling Problem

My 1987 Buick Century Limited has a cronic stalling problem.(With a 3.8 Liter Sequential fuel injected V-6 Engine) I've had it in four or five shops and no one can figure it out. The crank senser has been replaced,as well as the computer prom and the O-2 sencer. It stalls at highway speeds as well as slow speeds like rolling up to a red light or stop sign. The check engine light will always come on at the same time. The car will always start right up again. Can anyone Help?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-03, 07:27 PM
Ignition modules have been known to act like that although it will be hard to pinpoint with symptoms like that. Is it setting any codes when it dies?

Old 10-21-03, 11:05 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
4 or 5 shops, or 4 or 5 dealerships?

if the check engine light is on, there is a stored fault code. that is the best place to start.

maybe all those parts that were replaced were poor quality and are bad again. maybe not, because they didn't fixed it in the first place.

Old 10-22-03, 07:11 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Let's start with the basics.

Fuel pressure?
Condition of the ignition system (new parts don't tell you much, could be defective as indicated).
Maintenance history?

Tons of woes on these early 3.8's and throwing parts at the problem will soak you worse than it already has. Get it to a competent shop that will go through it PROPERLY.

Old 10-22-03, 02:54 PM
starts right back up? hmmm.......as in when you let off the gas pedal?
also, does the check engine light come on before it stalls? If it comes on after it stalls, that just tells u it lost it's engine speed signal...and there wouldn';t be any codes for that..

Old 10-25-03, 09:30 AM
Spoogee
Visiting Guest
Unhappy 1987 Buick Cronic intermittant stalling problum

Thanks for all the replys. Yes there were codes that came up . According to the Haynes manual one code ( I believe it was 41)was indicative of a bad o-2 senser (replaced) and the other (47) showed a bad ignition module (borg warner replaced last night 160 freakin dollars) Guess what the car stalled on me this morning!. Anyway, most car dealerships wont work on vehicles this old , and the repair shops I have brought it too were compitent and came highly recomended. I realize its not a good idea to just start throwing parts at these types of problums but I got about a half dozen suggestions from you fellas to try the ign module, so what can I say. Oh well, enough rambling on. If anyone has anything to add, it would be appriciated. thanks Bob.

Old 10-25-03, 03:41 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You'll spend less to diagnose and fix the problem than to throw parts at it. No need to spend 160 bones on a module unless it tests bad!

Many, many possibilities on these. Can't jump around, must go in order or you'll spend more than the vehicle could ever be worth.

These were bad for crank shaft position sensors, among other things. Plenty of bulletins out there on problems with these. Check alldata.com for starters.

Old 10-25-03, 06:42 PM
Re: 1987 Buick Cronic intermittant stalling problum

Originally posted by Spoogee
Thanks for all the replys. Yes there were codes that came up . According to the Haynes manual one code ( I believe it was 41)was indicative of a bad o-2 senser (replaced) and the other (47) showed a bad ignition module (borg warner replaced last night 160 freakin dollars)
Those codes do not tell you that you have a defective O/2 or a defective module. They tell you something about the way they are acting. That doesn't mean they are bad. If diagnosis was that easy they wouldn't need us.

I just looked at another website for the code 41 and it came back as "no distributer reference signal' and they didn't show a 47 in that year. I'm sure the site could be wrong but maybe your misreading the code definitions. Maybe somebody else here has that info handy.

Old 10-26-03, 04:06 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Check autolibrary or www.batauto.com for good code descriptions.

Old 11-03-03, 06:37 PM
Spoogee
Visiting Guest
Smile 1987 Buick Cronic Stalling Problum

Its now been over a week since I installed the new ignition control module in my century Limited and I'm happy to report that I believe I've got the problum solved. What happened was I noticed that even though the car was still stalling, the "chek engine" was no longer coming on. This should have been a clue that I had fixed the problum. It occured to me that after I replaced the I.C.M and started the car the idle speed was a lot lower then it had been, and thats why it was stalling! So I increased the idle and guess what? The car hasnt stalled in over a week! again thanks to everyone for all your input! Bob

Old 11-04-03, 10:50 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Ummm, turning the idle screw (if that's what you did) won't solve the problem, it masks the real one.....

Old 07-11-14, 05:55 AM
Super Moderator
Old thread....... closed......

Closed Thread