95 Mazda MX-3 4 cyl 5 spd

Old 10-22-03, 12:39 PM
Question 95 Mazda MX-3 4 cyl 5 spd

This is my first post of this Father-Daughter project car that she bought for $100 bones {as Joe_F would say}. With 78k and no prior brake work detected we are planning to replace all hardware including lines. My daughter's bigger plans is to find a turbo v6 to pry into this Fast & Furious knock off. I do know they did have a v6 model.

Anyway her question is: since we are replacing all the brake componients how hard would it be to convert the rear drum current set up to disk brakes. And what would be the parts needed, estimated cost {parts only our labor} and benefits to doing the conversition? This car does not have ABS. Through Autozones web sites tech help section they do show rear disc brake repair info and this is what spooked her interest. Being a backyard mechanic I have maintained original equipment with minor performance improvements but have never done a convertion like this. I am game if it is cost feasible and provides additional benefits in return.

Thanks,

Doug

PS I know to shoe horn a v6 I will have to do front end modifications but since she is only 14 I think I will leave the 4 cyl in there until she has some driving experience under her belt. She doesn't even get her permit for another 2 yrs, so I plan to keep the cart behind the horse for as long as possible. She is wired for speed and currently has no legal out let.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-03, 01:10 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Basically, you will have to swap everything over from the donor car into this one as most of the parts likely differ.

Find a good donor and swap everything over. Throw out expendables such as friction, hardware and rotors, replace the used stuff with all new.

Old 10-22-03, 01:17 PM
So it sounds to me like a whole rear axle swap. What would be the true bennifits?

Thanks,

Doug

Old 10-22-03, 04:30 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Better stopping, perhaps handling (if the swap includes better suspension parts).

Of course replacement parts will cost more and the pedal on a lot of disc cars gets soggy when the calipers age.

Old 10-29-03, 06:09 AM
I think this thought will be nixed. I see no real benefit in the convertion. Plus the Mrs. may get upset if I start loading the drive with donor mobiles as I would want them side by side to do the swap so I can make sure everything goes where it belongs. Also with winter approaching it will be to cold to work on this outside.

Joe_F thanks for the thoughts though, I don't think there would be much more stopping power especially since all the weight is upfront.

Regards,

Doug

Old 10-29-03, 09:08 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Ya, really up to you .