Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

91 Grand Am Stalls

Visiting Guest

10-23-03, 05:46 AM   #1  
kb_63
91 Grand Am Stalls

Good Morning,
Wondering if anyone has ideas on why my 91 grand am would stall after driving for 10 minutes and then I can't restart it until 6 hours later. The engine is a quad 4. I put in new plugs and wires, Fuel and Air Filter 10,000 miles ago. The engine does not spit and spudder before it quits, it just stops. Then I have to wait 6 or so hours and then it starts up on the first turn. Wondering if it is a sensor or something. Thank You.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-23-03, 06:43 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Possible coil/ignition module failure.

The next time it happens, check my "The Basics" post. Many of these were bad for burning through the coil tower.

I'm betting you're losing spark, but we need to verify that.

10-23-03, 08:21 AM   #3  
joe u must mean coil housing, not tower, and this is not going to cause this symptom. The module idea is unlikely, unless it's already been replaced with an aftermarket one.
This could be a tough one to diagnose, I recommend avoiding speculation.
There has got to be some more clues........is there anything else u see it doing?

Visiting Guest

10-23-03, 10:17 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Housing/tower . It's the one that always burns through causing the misfire problems these are known for.

Again, problem depends on whether we have no spark or fuel, which the poster has not provided us.

10-23-03, 10:29 AM   #5  
ya housing , not tower.
Say what you mean, mean what you say.....

Visiting Guest

10-23-03, 11:19 AM   #6  
Joe_F
Well, it "ain't" a "housing" .

Called a "cover" according to GM and EDS. But considering that the plug contacts look like towers, I would say it's an ample description of what we have in this system.

This whole setup is known to crack under the cover and cause misfiring woes. However, we need more information from the poster as to if spark (or lack thereof) is EVEN the problem.

So, original poster, what is it?

Visiting Guest

10-23-03, 11:42 AM   #7  
kb_63
Thanks for all your responses. I have not been able to test if there is a fuel or a spark problem yet. Here is some more background info, which may or may not help. I had just filled up my tank of gas a day before all this started (I don't let my tank ever get below 1/4 tank, though). If I had bad gas would I get more spit and spuddering type of action instead of just quitting. Each time my car quits it has been running for 10 to 15 minutes without any noises or lights on the dash and then the car just says I am done running for now and it quits. I try to restart it right away and it acts like it will start but just doesn't continue to run. So I have had to wait 6 or so hours and then it starts on the first turn. I won't be able to really get at the car to work on it until the weekend, but I have all your responses and links printed out. Thanks again.

Visiting Guest

10-23-03, 12:11 PM   #8  
Joe_F
Let us know. Try shooting something flammable (gumout, etc) into the intake when it won't start. If it fires and runs and stops, it's a fuel problem.

10-23-03, 01:50 PM   #9  
Oh sorry Joe, I thought you were using valid technical references, not aftermarket parts manuals.

Anyway that is a good idea to spray the carb clean into the throttle body while somebody cranks the engine! Good one!
Other than that, there is some disassembly required to check for spark and fuel.
I am not sure if it something you'll want to tackle.....

Visiting Guest

10-23-03, 04:20 PM   #10  
Joe_F
I use GM's EDS Parts Imager, which is pretty good---so long as the GM data is right.

When GM was heavily into microfiche, I used to write them comment cards, 10 to 15 at a time per day. 9 times out of 10 I was right. It took GM 15 tries to get the engine charts right on the 82 to 92 F car catalogs, they would always booger it up.

I remember them telling me that a 1983 Cadillac with a 4.1 V6 existed and I challenged them. I persisted and proved it three ways to them. At that point, I got a letter from a head SPO engineer that found proof. In the fall of '82 Cadillac dropped the V6 offering for the '83 model year, and as I had suspected none were made.

So, ya, I like to use with GM produces, but when you know the product, you take it with some grains of salt

Visiting Guest

10-27-03, 05:55 AM   #11  
kb_63
Good Morning,
I was able to try your suggestions this weekend and we think it is the fuel pump not working. I took apart the coil/ignition housing and it looked ok, and I even tried new coils. Then I shot something flammable (gumout, etc) into the intake when it wouldn't start. It fires and runs and stops. We took the fuel filter off as well to see if it had something wrong with that and that also looked ok. That is why we are thinking it is the fuel pump. Because every morning I can start the car and let it run for about 15 minutes or so and then it quits. Thank you for your time.

Visiting Guest

10-27-03, 06:49 AM   #12  
Joe_F
Don't throw parts at it. TEST what you believe is at fault to make sure it's the problem before replacing parts or it will get expensive.

Search this Thread