'87 merc. marquis tranny

Old 10-23-03, 08:10 PM
janetlee
Visiting Guest
Unhappy '87 merc. marquis tranny

My transmission was leaking (unbeknownst to me) and after it started "pulling" my brother in law who was driving it for me, put refilled it with transmission fluid. It's been shifting into gear fine (I had the mechanic look at it and it was leaking so he tightened up what ever it is you tighten up to stop the leaking). The thing worrying me BIG time is that it sometimes jerks when I put it into "park","reverse", or "drive". Heaven help me if this is going to be a major transmission problem.....................

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-03, 06:46 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
It could be. Jerking or bucking from a tranny is not normal. Make sure no mounts are broken. Make sure the fluid and filter are clean and up to snuff.

Start here first. Leaks in the tranny are not good. You can cook a tranny in a heartbeat by running it low on fluid.

Old 10-24-03, 05:28 PM
janetlee
Visiting Guest
update

I got it wrong...I've been under a lot of stress lately, that's my only excuse...but it only jerked some when I went into reverse gear. But when I drove it today, I found out that I wasn't holding the brake down enough while putting it into gear. My '88 Merc. GM. is "touchier" than the '87. I'm going to sell the car. I'm sick of them for right now !
Thanks a lot, Joe !
Janet

Old 10-25-03, 03:50 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Selling which? Didn't you just buy this '87?

Old 10-25-03, 11:56 PM
janetlee
Visiting Guest
Post Hi !

I visited your webpage.
Thanx 4 everything !

Old 10-26-03, 02:58 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Ok, ya, I like my Delta 88 too . LOL.

Still confused about your car situation here though...

Old 10-26-03, 09:24 PM
janetlee
Visiting Guest
CONFUSION.......

I answered your question about my selling the car via your webpage "contact".....since it wasn't a question, but a statement, I hoped you wouldn't mind.....so the answer should be in your webpage e-mail.
Thanks a lot and all the best to you !
Janetlee

Old 10-27-03, 04:12 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I read it, but I'm confused. Are you selling both cars? Why?

Old 10-27-03, 08:27 PM
janetlee
Visiting Guest
Because....

I think I explained the "WHY?" in regards to the '87 GM very thoroughly (you did read the e-mail explanation didn't you?) I also signed your guestbook, so if you just read that post, it didn't explain it. So did you read my "contrite confession"?.................
As to the '88 GM, it is, as I've told ya before, in need of a lot more work than it is worth. No A/C or heater, bad windshield, 2 windows need repair, needs paint, 2 catalytic convertors have been removed (couldn't afford to replace), and etc.......
Mom and I want a car that is basically sound and in reasonably good shape and not extremely expensive to fix when it needs it. The older Vics and GMs fit this criteria very well, but so far, there haven't been any good ones for sale in this town !!!
Let me know if this answered ya good 'nuff !
Thanx, Joe !

Old 10-28-03, 07:14 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I didn't read or get any mail from you .

There are plenty of these cars out there---you have to search to find the good ones among the crap. The time to look for a car is when you don't need one. Much like looking for a job.

Always have to be one step ahead of the curve. Never let it get to a crisis point! .

Find a good solid one that's been OK'd by a mechanic and that's your best assurance for a reliable car. Pay someone to go through a candidate vehicle for you.

Finding a good car is work !

Search this Thread