Tire selection: name game?

Old 10-24-03, 06:51 AM
Tire selection: name game?

95 Acura Integra GS-R
140k miles

I will need some new tires soon, and knowing nothing about tires I went to Consumer Reports for recommendations. When I look for CR's recommendations *in the size I need*, I find similar names but no exact matches. For instance: the Michelin Pilot XGT H4 is a CR recommendation, but the Michelin Pilot XGT V4 is offered in my size. Same deal for Dunlop SP Sport (A2 recommended, 9000 offered) and Bridgestone Potenza (RE950 recommended, RE010 offered).

If I get a similar name, will I get similar performance / value?

TIA,
Dave

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-03, 07:41 AM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Stick with the tire size that should be on the door sticker. Lots of tire competition anymore. Dunlop or michelin are good brands in my book.

Old 10-24-03, 07:41 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Here's my advice for tires.

Choose the size type you need (radials, snow, etc).

Then compare all the ratings, temperature, traction, treadwear.

The tire that is the best value is the one with the best of these three at the lowest price.

That's the abbreviated answer .

Old 10-24-03, 06:28 PM
For instance: the Michelin Pilot XGT H4 is a CR recommendation, but the Michelin Pilot XGT V4 is offered in my size.

What you are comparing there are the same tires with different speed ratings. The V4 being the higher rating and the better tire. I'd say the only prohibitive reason NOT to buy that tire would be price. I wouldn't question the quality. It will handle better than the H4. Michelin is by far the best tire you could buy. If you can afford them, you can't do any better.
Don't put a whole lot of faith in the tire grading system for treadwear, traction, temp. The testing is federally mandated but the rating is solely determined by the manufacturer with no watchdogs. It's turned into a marketing tool for manufacturers and can't be trusted. Even the treadwear warranties are nothing but a numbers game. If there isn't a reason for the premature wear then the cost will be inflated to the point you won't get anything. Michelin is a tire above all the rest.

Old 10-24-03, 11:08 PM
I agree about Michelin, definitely above the rest. Only tire I'll have on my vehicles.

Everybody I recommend them can't believe the difference in ride.

Use them as replacements on new cars with slight shimmy problems than cannot be corrected. Allways provides excellent results.

Larry

Old 10-25-03, 03:26 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Michelin tires are good...

The watchdog on tire ratings is that governmental agency which mandated them . I would use them as a guide, trust me, no one wants a Firestone Fiasco part II so my guess is the tire companies are on pretty good behavior now .

Old 10-25-03, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Joe_F
Michelin tires are good...

The watchdog on tire ratings is that governmental agency which mandated them . I would use them as a guide, trust me, no one wants a Firestone Fiasco part II so my guess is the tire companies are on pretty good behavior now .
Joe, believe me, I spent 15 years in all aspects of the tire business. The ratings are a marketing ploy only. They are bogus. I have seen the exact same tire change it's rating 3 different times to fit into it's line. The first year Michelin had a rating of 140, now their puttin 600's on there. Do you think their tires improved that much. I was running tire stores when that system came out and watched all the games played over the next 10 years. It may give you a little indication of which tire might be better but not accurate at all. Nobody watch dogs the manufacturers at all they test and grade their own tires with no supervision. Past performance is the only indicator you can trust. Usually a tire with a TPC designation was engineered to OE spec for a manufacturer and can be trusted a little. Otherwise the Michelin name is all you have.

Old 10-25-03, 04:05 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Tires have BETTER improved over 15 years, or else, why upgrade? We'd still be running bias ply tires.....

Again, there has to be some grading/standards to go by. Firestone was always regarded as a good maker and then the Explorer/Wilderness fiasco. Now it's a different ballgame for them....

Also, many of the tire makers own each other now, so it's tough to get a true handle on who is making what.

Old 10-25-03, 04:12 PM
Joe,

Were you been....Firestone a good tire maker? Remember the Firestone 500's. There were other recalled Firestones, just cannot remember...maybe 727's

Larry

Old 10-25-03, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by toyotaman11769
Remember the Firestone 500's. There were other recalled Firestones, just cannot remember...maybe 727's

Larry
I'm dating myself now but the 721 (not 727) was the replacement fro the Firestone 500 which was the problem tire. The jury is still out on the latest Firestone issue. There are a lot of fingers being pointed at Ford and their pressure recommendations and Explorer suspensions. Firestones japanese now anyway (Bridgestone). Michelin owns Uniroyal-Goodrich
Goodyear owns Kelly, Lee and many others not to mention all the private brands. The Japs are making some pretty good products that are cheap like the Toyo, Nitto
Michelin is still the king, just don't believe all the rating stuff.

Old 10-26-03, 12:11 PM
The Firestone fiasco?Yes there were problems at the plant due to disgruntled union workers attempting to sabotage the place(and their jobs).The Wilderness A/T was not the problem any vehicle that runs 26 psi and a negative 1 and 1/2 degrees camber will eat the tires,trust me I've had enough on the rack.I used to work at Firestone and guess what the majority of the Explorers had no tread left on the inside edge of the tire.Most were already through the steel cords due to alignment problems.A tire with steel showing on the inside and 8/32 on the outside tread is not due to manufacturing.So if you feel the need to cast blame,blame Ford and the United Rubber Workers OF America.I also believe Bridgestone tires exceed Michelin's quality,at least Michelin reps think they are because Michelin is attempting to copy Bridgestone's structural tire designs.721 Firestone tires were recalled.Firestone paid over 1 million dollars for an investigation into tire manufacturing in that time period.What was found was all tire manufacturers had belt separation at the same rate.However Firestone is the only company that didn't have any deaths related to tire failure,Michelin and Goodyear didn't fair so well.

Old 10-26-03, 02:20 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Larry:

As I said, it's anyone's guess now who REALLY makes your tires. I used to like Cooper tires, they were American made and owned, not sure now though. Never had a problem with most brands out there. As Davo said, I never let them get to the "dangerous" point of replacement.

Firestone and Ford are together because Firestones married into the Ford family some years ago and there has always been a togetherness between the two companies.

My sister's 2002 Tahoe has F/S tires on it. Seem fine.

Original poster: There are various ways to buy good tires. You have varied opinions here to make your choice.

Old 10-26-03, 02:21 PM
Just buy a Michelin and ride trouble free.

Joe

Cooper is still the only total American company.

Findlay, Ohio

Old 10-27-03, 05:08 AM
Thanks, everyone

Thanks for the info- pulling that trigger this week.