rear differential in 88 E150

Old 10-24-03, 03:17 PM
harryhomeowner
Visiting Guest
rear differential in 88 E150

I have a loud whaling noise that increases in frequency (pitch) as the speed increases. It starts at about 8 mph and will getr the loudest around 55mph. after about 62mph it quites down a lot. This happens in nuetral or drive, and has gotten worse over time.

Is there anything else that could cause the noise. I don't think it is the tires or the wheel bearing.

Also, what is the best book for (I have only a little experience with auto mechanics, and what to do the work myself) the Ford E150's.

Thanks
harry

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-03, 06:40 PM
This may not be the job to learn on. How do the symptoms sound? Does it change pitch when goin on or off the throttle? Does it change pitch when swerving side to side, if so what direction makes it louder? If neither of these things affects the pitch then it would be a differnt bearing. No matter what bearing we are talking about, it's not a real job for a novice. some of these bearings require accurate preload installations.

Old 10-24-03, 10:23 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
you could try jacking up the back axle and placing it very safely on jack stands and blocking the front tires.

then have someone drive it at 20-30 mph, then carefully crawl under it from the rear and try to isolate the noise. this will eliminate all the tires and front wheel bearings. i've been tricked once by a bad front wheel bearing that i swore sounded like the rear(it wasn't).

if it is inside the rear, you could take out the 'fill' plug and smell the fluid, usually by this time(with all the noise) either the fluid will turn your stomach or there will be nothing in there(or it will be all milky, like is got submerged on a boat ramp or flood).

without all the specialty installation and measuring tools, the easiest thing to do is find a good one in a salvage yard and swap it out whole.

let us know what you find

Old 10-25-03, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by mike from nj
you could try jacking up the back axle and placing it very safely on jack stands and blocking the front tires.

then have someone drive it at 20-30 mph, then carefully crawl under it from the rear and try to isolate the noise. this will eliminate all the tires and front wheel bearings. i've been tricked once by a bad front wheel bearing that i swore sounded like the rear(it wasn't).

I have tried this on a lift in the past and found that once you take away the load it is impossible to hear clear enough unless it's destroyed so bad it roars.

Old 10-25-03, 05:59 AM
harryhomeowner
Visiting Guest
Turn has no effect on the sound, nor does the use of throttle. Speed over the ground seems to be the only way to change the pitch.
The sound it makes is very much like a bad wheel bearing, execpt it doesn't change with turning. Could it be both wheel bearings at the same time? the Van has over 200,000 miles on it, I have had it since 150,000, and I have only had the front bearings worked on.

I have a good bit of mechanical sense, and would like to find a good manual that will be helpful. Is there something out there better then Chilton's?
I'm real good at reading and following instructions. I also love any excuse to buy tools, as I now have a garage and need to make it useful; or my wife will fill it full of junk!

Thanks for your input!!!!!

Harry

Old 10-25-03, 07:59 AM
Well, the symptoms your describing point toward the side carrier bearings in the differential. This requires removing the carrier and examining the bearings and races in the differential. You most likely will end up changing all of the bearings back there which requires a press. Setting up a differential and setting things like backlash and preload using a collapsable collar usually require a good bit of experience and feel for the correct drags and clearances. There are tools out there to measure these things but they cost more than the car and would require training to use. I suggest sending this one to a reputable shop. Let them take the risk.

Old 10-25-03, 03:17 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The best and only manual to buy is a Ford OEM shop manual. Ebay is the best place, they show up there all the time for cheap.

As for the rear end, if the fault is internal, throw it out and get a salvage unit if you don't want to spend the bones to have it rebuilt. Not DIY work as specialized tools are required.

Old 10-25-03, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Joe_F

As for the rear end, if the fault is internal, throw it out and get a salvage unit if you don't want to spend the bones to have it rebuilt. Not DIY work as specialized tools are required.
I don't agree with that at all. All we are talking about here is bearings and labor. Why buy somebody elses's unknown problems that will cost you just as much as replacing the bearings in you own "known good" differential. Getting an exact duplicate is also not easy from the boneyard.