Re: Shimmy when braking

Old 10-08-03, 10:49 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Re: Shimmy when braking

A while back, I posted about the shimmy problem I was having after having my brake pads replaced and rotors trued. The saga continues......After bringing the car back, they said that they found the problem and discribed it as a "balance problem". Well, as soon as I drove off the lot I realized that the shimmy was still prevalent, only when braking at high speed. I took it back a second time. They called and said that they trued the rotors, again, which they say fixed the shimmy, and that I can come and pick it up. I told them that I was unhappy that they hadn't called me before re-cutting the rotors, as I now know thanks to you guys, that re-cutting is only a temporary solution. They said that it may or may not be a temporary solution. I told them that had I known they planned to cut the rotors a second time that I would have just said to put new rotors in. They answered that if the shimmy continues, they would then recommend new rotors. Am I being "jacked around" on this or what? Thanks again for any input..........

Old 10-08-03, 11:22 AM
Doug66
Visiting Guest
i had a shimmy about 2 weeks ago and discovered that i hadn't tightened my wheellug nuts fully after having inspected my brake pads. first off, i would get an auto repair manual from autozone or whereever you can obtain one for your car, modal and year and if you are able change your brakes yourself from now on. of course, if that's not possible i would still get a manual and study it for the sake of better detecting certain techs' bull. doug

Old 10-08-03, 11:45 AM
B
I think that I remember u. It's a toyota camry or something like that...does that have drum brakes in the rear? typically, a shudder at higher speeds, is the rear brakes, and they may have destroyed the drums removing them, if they haven't been off in a long time.
Cutting the rotors is not necessarily a temporary fix, as long as they are above minimum thickness. No more temporary than replacing them is, as all rotors seemed destined to warp at some time or another.
But since they have been cut twice, I'd be skeptical about how thick they are.....

Old 10-08-03, 11:45 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Sounds like poorly cut rotors or rotors in need of replacement.

I'd ask for an adjustment in the bill toward new rotors.

Old 10-08-03, 02:37 PM
matm347
Visiting Guest
I agree with Joe....I used to work in a machine shop and know how to measure, as well as having access to calibrated measuring instruments....and found that most shops either don't know how to turn rotors, or have machines that can do it properly. A buddy of mine that worked with me got new rotors after he took his back twice to be turned, he turns his own now and I don't blame him.

If you feel the shimmy in the steering wheel then it is more than likely your front rotors, the braking is mostly handled by the front ~70-30% split.

You should get some compensation, if not new rotors for your trouble.

Old 10-08-03, 02:40 PM
matm347
Visiting Guest
Oh yes, almost forgot.....with new rotors you need to break them in....no fast stops for at least 200 miles. And one of the leading causes for warped rotors is over torque of the lug nuts....make sure you torque them to manufactures specs, and recheck every once in a while.

Old 10-08-03, 08:35 PM
Doug66
Visiting Guest
i would take the tire off and see where there is possibly any movement by feeling around and trying to shake any of the parts for looseness. doug

Old 10-15-03, 08:10 PM
leom
Visiting Guest
Be carefull in refacing rotors a few times. Rotors become too thin and will distort from heat after braking. That is why there is so called reject size specified on rotors. You cannot cut rotor to or below that size - that is width of rotor. I you stiil have shimmy, it may be because rotor(s) are not cut true. That means, rotor has face runout that cause shimmy. It could be one rotor or both rotors. I would look for better mechanic.

Old 10-19-03, 03:09 PM
P
Thumbs down Respond to shimmy problem.

Your mechanic should have known what was happening.
But giving him the B. of the D.(benifit of the doubt), you may have said to go the cheapest route. Heres what happened (it happened to me): your rotors are steel, if you brake a lot and while there very hot, you drive through water(a puddle etc.);
they WILL WARP!! Cutting them is a very cheap and VERY short term fix. The best thing to do is replace them (always replace both rotors and brakes at the same time.) A bit costly but its one of those things that has to be done; and the only thing that will fix the problem!!

Old 10-20-03, 04:47 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Original poster:

Has the problem been fixed?

Old 10-24-03, 01:49 PM
F
Unhappy Re: Shimmy when braking

Joe-
Yes, the problem has been fixed.
They called and said that they had to cut the rotors a second time as the first cut wasn't done correctly.......something about the machine not having been set correctly the first time. My guess is it was incompetence. I was vexed that they hadn't called me prior to cutting them again, as I would have told them to just put new rotors in. I'm still concerned, as many previous posts warn about cutting rotors more than once. At least the shimmy is gone for the moment. I've resigned myself to finding a new mechanic and replacing the rotors when, if the shimmy returns. Last question......are the rotors safe after having been cut twice? Thanks to all for past/future advice......

Old 10-24-03, 06:15 PM
They are safe, assuming they didn't take "drastic" amounts off but they will warp much easier the next time. You've got the right idea, replace them at the first sign of a problem.

Old 10-25-03, 03:44 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Go for the piece of mind and change them, I agree.

Use good quality US/Canadian made aftermarkets or OEM Honda ones.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: