Engine will not turn over.

Old 10-25-03, 04:44 AM
Engine will not turn over.

I have a 84 Olds Delta 88 with a 307 engine. The engine will turn over and start ok as long as the car has not been running for a few hours. The problem is after driving the car for 3 or 4 miles and I shut off the engine and try to restart it will not turn over till the car sets for about an hour or so. After the car sits for about an hour it will turn over and start ok. I have replaced the starter and it still does the same thing. Could it be the battery even though the engine will turn over and start with a cold engine? Or would anything else cause this problem. Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-03, 08:08 AM
Hot engines are always harder to crank. Things like battery capacity, battery cable condition and starter draw have to be looked at first. After all that you could have a carbon build up behind the rings. That kinda tuff to get rid of but you could try drowning out the hot engine with some decarboning solvent. After it dies out, let it sit for 30 minutes, then restart and give it a good hard run. Sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't.

Old 10-25-03, 02:55 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I own this exact machine. Fine vehicle. Very reliable and comfortable, runs like a dream.

Are you stating it won't CRANK when hot or cranks but doesn't START/RUN when hot?

If the latter, next time it happens, yank a plug wire off, hold it to a metal ground and crank it over. Tell us if you have spark or not.

HEI GM's like this are bad for eating modules (they cannot dissipate heat when they get hot) or the pole piece wires turn to dust from age.

Let's see where the spark test nets you. Let us know.

Long live these GM rear drivers .

Old 10-25-03, 03:27 PM
Sounds pretty clear that he's having a hot cranking problem.

The problem is after driving the car for 3 or 4 miles and I shut off the engine and try to restart it will not turn over till the car sets for about an hour or so. After the car sits for about an hour it will turn over and start ok. I have replaced the starter and it still does the same thing. Could it be the battery even though the engine will turn over and start with a cold engine?

Search this Thread