Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Real Quick....

Visiting Guest

10-25-03, 05:01 AM   #1  
bryceambrose
Real Quick....

In response to my previous post...any idea on why the whining is occuring with the power steering? Supposedly, my mechanic relaced the hose I needed after it failed, why now the whining?

Sponsored Links

10-25-03, 08:13 AM   #2  
The whining generally occurs when the fluid is low or aerated. It can also happen if the pump is run dry for too long and that damage would be permanent. Make sure it's ful of oil and not foamy. The air will diminish with sitting.

Visiting Guest

10-25-03, 01:04 PM   #3  
bryceambrose
Thanks, but.......

I just went out and checked the power steering fluid. The dip stick when pulled out (cold) shows that the fluid is low. I can visually see fluid in the resevoir. I also noticed that under the car there is what looks like thick power steering fluid (almost a blue tint), but there is not much of it all (maybe a silver dollar worth or so). None of the hoses from what I can see look to be leaking. If I add fluid, will it cause the whining to stop? Very noisy but is this safe to drive?

I also noticed something very wierd on the cooler line. I was able to capture it on a digital camera, but I cannot explain it. It looks as if some sort of two pronged electrical piece plugs into it and there currently is not one there. I am going to see if I can attach the picture.

Thanks for the quick response!

Visiting Guest

10-25-03, 02:23 PM   #4  
Joe_F
I assume we are talking about a GM? Don't create a separate post for each reply. Use the reply button so everyone can follow along.

If you are stating an electrical switch in the power steering system, that is a power steering pressure switch, and yes, some vehicles have them.

Is it missing or broken? If it is, fluid will pour out!

10-25-03, 03:56 PM   #5  
Yes it should quite down if you get it filled and bleed out. It appears you still have some leaks to cure. Even a quarter size spot will be a problem. If your seeing a switch in the pressure line, it's usually an A/C cutout switch. Not important to the P/S as long as it isn't leaking.

Search this Thread