When it rains the car keeps dying

Old 10-25-03, 08:26 AM
Angry When it rains the car keeps dying

Iíve noticed the car dies a lot when it rains. Do you think it needs a tune up? It is (98 I think) Plymouth Acclaim. I bought it used and have it almost two years. I never had a tune up. I think Iíll try to do it myself. Can you tell me what I need to do it, and how to do it? I do know I need to change the plugs, wires distributor Cap, air filter. Is there anything else I donít know about? I know I have to gap the plugs. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-03, 08:46 AM
Most likely you wil not need to replace your spark plugs. You only replace them when your car isnt running on all the cylinders. But it seems like it runs fine during normal conditions. I would suggest replacing the spark plug wires. When it rains, moisture gets in the engine compartment. If your spark plug wires are cut orgashed in any way, they will short out and the spark wont get to the cylinder. But remember, when you go about changing the wires, replace them one at a time. Dont just take them all off at once, or youll have to figure out the firing order for your vehicle. You dont need to replace the air filter unless it is dirty. If have your oil changed somewhere, they will tell you when you need a new air filter.

Old 10-25-03, 12:28 PM
You don't say how many miles are on the car. Chances are if your over 60-70K it's time to chance all of it. The cap, rotor and wires are the moisture effected parts. Wouldn't hurt to change the plugs also. While your in there, clean the throttle body also with some carb cleaner and a tooth brush. That will help the idling.

Old 10-25-03, 02:27 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
There's no 1998 Acclaim, so I assume you mean 1988. The Acclaim and it's A body brother stop in 1995 for Chrysler.

Doesn't matter, all of these machines are glorified K cars and are serviced in basically the same way. Is it a 2.5 4 cylinder? Which engine? This is a simple simon car to service if it's a 4 cylinder.

As other posters noted, a tune up would be a start. Throw everything out, cap, rotor, wires, PCV, all filters, give it an oil change and fluid check. That's a start.

Yes, bad wires will cause trouble in the rain.

Old 10-26-03, 12:03 PM
Lightbulb 1994 Acclaim

Joe is right, the year is 1994. Its a v6 and 3 liter. what else do I need to do to maintain this car. Also there are 113000 miles. Thanks to all.

Old 10-26-03, 02:23 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
In your glovebox there is a maintenance schedule with the owner's book. Dust it off and follow that. Should be fine.

Old 10-26-03, 09:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree it is due for a tune up, plugs and all, if it has never been done and is over 60k on the odometer. Included in a tune up on this 3.0 litre V6 is a throttle body cleaning, as mentioned. A dirty throttle body commonly causes stalls at idle (ie: stopping at a red light). It generally will start right back up just fine too. Remove the throttle cables and connectors and the throttle body. Remove the small "can" or cylinder that is attatched to the side with two torx screws (this is the IAC motor). Open the throttle plate and use carburetor cleaner to clean out the black gum inside, especially where the throttle plate touches the housing inside. Clean the point on the IAC motor and the port in the housing where it was bolted on. Then reassemble.

Hope that helps.

Old 10-27-03, 06:23 AM
Question Where's the throttle, whats it look like , ANY PICTURES??

Thank you Cheese and everyone for the great advice. Could you please tell me how to find a throttle? Where is it located, what does it look like? Are there any sites with a picture of one? Also is a tune up suppose to be done every year or every 60000 miles? Thanks so much for your patience and not insulting my ignorance. This is where I can learn.

Old 10-27-03, 06:47 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
autolibrary.org below.

Old 10-27-03, 09:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't mind helping you do this. But...please don't take this the wrong way...I am worried that this might be better left to a mechanic if you are not familiar with the parts of the car. There are some expensive parts and close tolerances involved that are normally not in danger of damage when this procedure is done, but someone not mechanically inclined could do some harm here.

I don't mean to imply that you are incapable of doing the job, but I want to make sure you realize that there is a little more to this than just replacing spark plugs. If you feel capable, then the throttle body is the piece that the cables from the gas pedal connects to. It has the rubber air cleaner box hose connected to the end of it. On top of the engine is the air intake plenum (looks like a flat metal box with 3 legs coming out the front and rear. On one end of this on the driver's side is where you will find the throttle body bolted to the end of the intake plenum. Take a look at how it is assembled and attatched and decide if it looks like a job you want to do. It's not terribly hard or time consuming if you have the proper tools and some mechanical ability.

I reccomend a tune-up every 30,000 to 40,000 miles. Transmission services are due at this time too. 60,000 means way overdue. If you are over 60k, then I would also reccomend having the timing belt and water pump replaced if they haven't been.

The autolibrary link Joe gave you should have the illustrations and directions you need. Let us know if you need help!

Old 10-28-03, 06:17 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Not sure if it is related, but I had a 1990 Dodge Dakota 3.9L V6 that had a stalling problem at 190,000 miles. Turned out htat the EGR valve was bad and needed to be changed. Good Luck with it!!

Old 10-28-03, 06:56 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Arrow

Cheese gave some good suggestions. Just remember that autolibrary is NOT a substitute for a good shop manual which you should own if you do any work on your own cars.