Find My Hemi

Old 10-25-03, 04:30 PM
Find My Hemi

Joe,

I started restoring a 1940 Ford Deluxe Coupe in 1966, but the Viet Nam War interrupted plans and I had to sell the car. I had just put a 1953 Chrysler Hemi in it, with six one barrel carbs sitting on top of it. I would like to find out what happened to this car. It was sold to someone who lived in Northwest Ohio at the time. I dont have a VIN number or anything to give the DMV. Has anyone out there tried to find a car they previously owned have any suggestions as to where to start this search?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-03, 03:17 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I have.

I know and have spoken to every owner of my 1979 10th Anniversary Trans Am. Fortunately for me, they were all receptive to my phone calls and letters and happy to hear from me.

I hit paydirt as the third owner was a specialty Trans Am dealer in Shenandoah Valley, VA and still had a folder on my car 10 years after he owned it and 6 years after he retired.

He was elated to hear from me and gladly sent me a mountain of paperwork on the car including the original 1979 PA title with the owner's name.

I typed in the owner's name into www.google.com one day and got a listing for an Army base in Fort Detrick, MD (of Anthrax fame... ) and I took a chance and e-mailed the guy. He last owned the car in 1987.

Bingo---I found my man. We have chatted on the phone a few times and he even thought about buying it back (as did the other 2 guys). Owner #2 was a GM dealer and he remembered the car and who he sold it to. Turns out owner #1 sold it in '87 for a Grand National. Owner #3 was a young kid my age in 1987 and drove it--wiped it out in a slight accident after 2 years and sold it to Shenandoah man who restored it. I bought it from the lady he sold it to.

Everyone was very helpful and I found out a ton about the car. I have it all documented. I used the 'net, DMV records (I got lucky, some of the transactions weren't 10 years old yet), and good detective work.

I even surmised the original owner drove from PA to MD to do a "dealer swap of the car". When I contacted him the first time and explained all my ideas, he said,

"You couldn't be more right. That is EXACTLY what happened!".

Motor Vehicle records are generally purged every 10 years or so.

Find something about the vehicle you remember or have record of and try that----but without any numbers or documents, names, etc, it's a fat chance to find it.

Old 10-26-03, 05:04 PM
1940 Ford

Well I have been to a lot of local shows and have seen a lot of '40 coupes with Chevy engines in them, but I have never seen one with a hemi in it. Somebody knows where this car is and I think if I can get the word out for what Im looking for, maybe the 6 steps away rule will work for me. If somebody wants a photo from 1964 of that engine being dropped into that car, Im THEIR man! Thanks for the reply!

Old 10-27-03, 04:08 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Get on the various Ford coupe e-mail/mailing lists out there and that will put the word out.

Someone might have it in their garage and say, "OH MAN!!!!". I'm sure the guy would love to talk to you about it.

ALL of the folks that owned my '79 Trans Am were VERY nostalgic about it and "I should have never sold that car".

Owner #3 pointed out a patch in one of the seats *I* didn't even spot (I'm going to redo the interior, so it's no matter). He described the shape, size and location of the repair to a tee---and he owned 50 of these cars in his lifetime. He remembers EVERY one like his children. Not to mention he's a helluva nice man.

I guess I made an impression on him---when he was selling his '77 Black "Bandit" S/E car he mailed me photos at his expense with a letter requesting that I buy it. When I called him, he said, "You know how I am with my cars, Joe. I don't want this to go to some knuckleheaded kid and be modified/wrecked/destroyed. I want this car returned to 1977 glory and from what I have seen, you are the young man (he is in his 70's) to do it".

Old 10-27-03, 04:29 AM
Hemi

Ive started to do that already. 10-4 on the nostalga about car owners. I want to shoot myself every time I see a restored 40 coupe for selling that car when I did. (Of course I want to do that for the 4 Harleys I sold too, but I moved around too much and was too broke to pay the storage costs anyway) 50 Trans Ams!