adding remote start

Old 10-26-03, 11:24 AM
tstokka
Visiting Guest
adding remote start

I'm adding a remote start to my 95 lumina. I'm wondering if there is a terminal on the factory keyless entery that creates either a positive or negative signal when you press the lock and unlock at the same time.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-03, 11:34 AM
Pressing lock and unlock at the same time will resync the transmitter,don't think it will activate your remote start function.I'm not a big advocate of remote starts.I feel they are unsafe and compromise the integrity of electrical circuits in a car.

Old 10-26-03, 02:31 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

I couldn't agree with Davo more---they are useless and serve no purpose.

If you want one, go to the GM parts counter and see if GM has an accessory kit for this vehicle. That would be the best one to install (still going to be some cutting and splicing).

Old 10-27-03, 05:04 PM
tstokka
Visiting Guest
If I wanted someone's opinion if they thought remote starters were STUPID or not, I would have asked that question. As far as I can tell I didn't ask that question.

If you don't know an answer to a question don't bother writing anything at all.

I thought this was a place where answers could be found, I guess not since your (Joe_F) standard answer is "what's the book say" or "consult the manual". If they had the book do you think they would be online looking for answers.

Old 10-27-03, 07:28 PM
KurtDixon
Visiting Guest
Read the second part of Joe's response...

Old 10-28-03, 07:11 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Dude:

As Kurt stated, you have the answer you need. See your GM dealer. They will set you up.

What part about that can't you understand? I KNOW they have a kit for this because I asked for one for a coworker's 1994 Ciera. Probably the same part # for your vehicle.

Again, they are dangerous and are crap----and you should know the answer to your question because you DO have the factory shop manual, right?

If you don't bail out get one---first step before you touch anything.

When your name appears as a moderator in this forum, you can moderate it as you see fit. Deal?

Old 10-28-03, 08:16 AM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Lots of people with correct know how and info on this forum. I know there have been many that benefit from reading and asking questions. As far as dealer printouts and correct manuals, sometime one picture is worth a thousand words. That is why at times you are referred to a dealer printout, OEM/dealer parts and proper repair manuals. But then, You can please some of the people some of the time but not all the people all the time.

Old 10-29-03, 05:57 PM
tstokka
Visiting Guest
DUDES,

I have a subscription to alldata. They don't list the keyless entrys "extra" terminals.

I asked one question, got the answer from davo (Thanks) and then all of you had to add your 2 cents, which isn't appreciated since your telling me I'm stupid because I want a "dangerous, crappy" remote start on my car.

Thanks again Davo.

Old 10-29-03, 07:32 PM
KurtDixon
Visiting Guest
Ok, take the time to read back again, not one person here said YOU were stupid, you added that yourself, we just said it was a bad idea, but it is still your choice. BTW alldata is good, but it isn't a shop manual.

Old 10-29-03, 09:37 PM
Adding a remote start is fairly easy, I would say easier then adding a car alarm. The most difficult part is finding the tach signal wire so the remote start knows the car is actually running. I've had one installed for 2 years now (Hornet car alarm/starter) and had no problems. Just make sure you solder the connections, no twisting/crimping/wire nuts, especially in the engine compartment. And make sure your ground is good, lots of strange problems happen with weak ground connections. Most car alarms manufacturers will tell you exactly what wires/colors and what locations you need to connect their system.

Old 10-29-03, 10:13 PM
KurtDixon
Visiting Guest
What happens if the car doesn't have a tachometer? Or does every car have a signal wire regardless if it has a gauge or not? I am just curious like always

Old 10-30-03, 06:44 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Alldata isn't a factory manual. So, you DON'T have the right information. You have a subset of it.

No one is telling you that you are ignorant as you put it. But, you are destined for a mess if you tackle this without the right information.

Beyond me why you take the highway to go around the block. Get the blasted GM kit and it will be as close to OEM as you can get.

Case closed.