Mercury Cougar Pinging!

Old 10-26-03, 02:36 PM
Unhappy Mercury Cougar Pinging!

I have a 1996 Cougar XR7 with the 4.6 liter V8 that is pingging badly on 87 ocane fuel. We also have the same car in a 1997 version that does not ping at all. Both cars have 60+ K on them and run fine. I assume the iginition timing is set buy the computer as there is no distributor. Each bank of cylinders is fired through a separate coil module. Any ideas as to the cause and/or solution to this pinging? With 89 octane fuel the pinging diminishes (but is still there under a load).

Thanks in advance,

Tony

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-03, 02:39 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
"89 minimizes the pinging"

You have your answer. Try different brands and grades of fuel. Some oil company's additives may cause more pinging in certain vehicles than others.

Old 10-26-03, 06:50 PM
That engine is pretrty notorious for the EGR passage getting plugged up. When it gets bad enough it will set a code and put on the check engine light. You have to remove the elbow behind the throttle body and chip out the passage. It may not be totally blocked yet. There could be a problem with the EGR but that should set a code also.

Old 10-26-03, 10:49 PM
Thumbs up Thanks Desi!

I just can't believe that two cars with the same engine buying the same gas are so different with respect to pre-iginition and the like. No codes have appeared, although the EGR passage may be a solution. I'll give a look at (throttle body) later this week.

Thanks!

Tony

Old 10-27-03, 05:09 AM
Also check or have someone check the Baro Pid on the Mass Air Flow Sensor see what the reading is for your area? Or look at the Mass Air Flow Sensor there are two wires that hang down shine a light on these wires and see if there dirty. If so replace the sensor and remove the battery cable for about 1 hour this will re-set Keep Alive Memory in the PCM for the fuel tables. Some times you can clean these wires off have Choke Cleaner and let them dry before Starting. But do clear Memory if you don't it may take more driving to re-set fuel tables.

Search this Thread