Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1999 honda accord oil consumption

NJ

10-26-03, 02:38 PM   #1  

i bought this car new, has only 46,000 miles on it, doesn't leak oil but i have to put 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles, i hear from different people that this is normal for this vehicle, it is the 4 cylinder model, it is a great car, but whats going on with the oil. thanks a million. jim

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-26-03, 02:42 PM   #2  
Joe_F
1 qt/1k is the general consumption rule of thumb. I don't really buy it though. None of my vehicles burn oil.

How often are you changing it?

Honda swept oil gallery plug leaks under the rug for many years on many of their engines, and finally issued a bulletin some years later. I believe this was prior to your model though.

NJ

11-01-03, 09:13 AM   #3  

This is a reply to Joe, i change the oil in this Honda every 3000 miles faithfully, i was wondering if going to a different weight class of oil say 10-30 instead of 5-35 would be better, i await your expert oppinion on this. thank you jim

Visiting Guest

11-02-03, 12:30 AM   #4  
mike from nj
***i await your expert oppinion on this.***

as are we all (i've been waiting six months for one!)

1 quart in a thousand miles is the maximum allowable before warranty will even consider it a problem, 99% of the cars on the road burn almost no oil.
first, there has to be no leaks. second, high speed driving and high rpm will cause abnormal consumption, as will excessive downshifting, if you're downshifting too early and making the engine rpm go too high, there will be unusually high vacuum in the engine and it will literally suck the oil into the engine to be burnt.

have you ever seen blue smoke from the tailpipe, that is the color of oil burning?

Visiting Guest

11-02-03, 04:51 AM   #5  
Joe_F
***i await your expert oppinion on this.***

as are we all (i've been waiting six months for one!)

---Well Mike, that's because I don't give "oppinion", but I do give opinions, so you will only find me giving expert ones of those

Again, has the vehicle always burned oil like this from the get go? 3months/3k is right on. Assuming you have no leaks, and you use the proper grade of oil, there should be no consumption issues.

NJ

11-02-03, 06:18 AM   #6  

I see no visible signs of blue smoke coming from the tailpipe, i was wondering about the weight of the oil, but before i do anything i want your honest opinion as to whether i have any recourse againest Honda for the problem i am having. My wife drives the car, she drives it with kid gloves, not a fast driver, and drives about 30 miles total to work, stop and go traffic. I value your opinion here, these forums have helped me out many times, not just the automotive forum. thank you jim

Visiting Guest

11-02-03, 06:26 AM   #7  
Joe_F
Again, has the car always burned oil? Have you ever questioned/documented this with the Honda dealer? If you did and they said, "No problem", you may have recourse.

My sister brought her 2000 VW Jetta in for inspection because she found foam on the oil cap. The dealer wrote it up as "no problem". (I do all the oil changes on the vehicle).

When she brought it back for recalls, the dealer called up and said the vehicle had a blown head gasket (15,000 miles!) and said it would cost X dollars to fix, etc.

My sister told them they would be eating the repair for free because she had proof she brought this to their attention a year or two prior and the dealer chalked it off as "normal".

Guess who ate that head gasket repair? Hint: Not my sister .

NJ

11-02-03, 08:22 AM   #8  

joe: to your answer as to whether the car has always used oil, and the answer is no. I guess it started about 2 oil changes ago, now that i think of the problem i am having, i did change to a different manufacturer of oil, but the same weight and grade, could this have anything to do with the problem, and no i haven't approached Honda yet about my problem. thank you Jim

Visiting Guest

11-02-03, 08:45 AM   #9  
darrell McCoy
Car engines have changed a lot. "But" back in the olden days, when you changed brands of oil, it was not uncommon for the engine to start using oil. Why? No idea. I have seen cars using no oil, to excessive use when changing brands. No harm will come from going back to the initial oil. Also have you checked the PVC valve in those 46000 miles or the hoses that are attached.

Visiting Guest

11-02-03, 11:48 AM   #10  
mike from nj
the cheapest thing to do right now would be to switch back to your original oil, but you should definitely stick with the weight recommended by the owner's manual. see where that gets you.

also look in the manual for the recommended interval for the pcv valve, it's very rare, but it might have an affect on things(stick with the dealer part too, not an aftermarket one)

Search this Thread