1996 Mazda Protege LX Boost Sensor

Old 10-27-03, 07:19 AM
Clements
Visiting Guest
1996 Mazda Protege LX Boost Sensor

My bro. in law's Protege's check engine light came on and he took it to a Mazda dealer who said the boost sensor needed replacing to the tune of $800. The mechanic said the bad sensor might cause a piston to blow if not replaced. Does this sound right? Also, is this something I can replace myself (fairly handy with mechanics tools)? $800 sounds high to me. What does the boost sensor do? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-03, 08:54 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Yea, I'd buy that in extreme cases timing issues will cause holes in pistons .

I can't see the part and labor being that high. Get a hold of a shop manual for the vehicle and dive in.

Hit the Mazda dealer for a printout of the exploded view of the part and location and have a go at it.

Old 10-27-03, 02:24 PM
harleyboy
Visiting Guest
The only Mazda's with a boost sensor are turbos. There are no Protege's that I know of that are Turbo charged. On your vehicle, the code for the boost sensor is actually for the MAP sensor which, according to my parts manual, is no where near the $800. price tag that the dealership quoted. The MAP and boost sensors are basically the same component only one is for the turbo charged engines and the other for the non turbos. If you know what code was set, I can tell you a little more about what may be wrong with the car.