Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

electrical problem in chevy vandura

Visiting Guest

10-27-03, 07:36 AM   #1  
caraloca
electrical problem in chevy vandura

Hi, I have a chevy vandura 3500, year 1989.
My problem, my back lights and directionals does not work.
Everytime I changes the back lights fuse it burnt inmediately. I already checked the electrical wires from back to front but they looks fine. I think my problem is around the fuses box or behind the dashboard.
A friend of mine tried to help me and is when my directional lights stop working.
For the record, before when everything was working, if I had the radio on and turn on the lights my radio will close. I noticed that my lights were not working because the radio did not close when I put the lights on one night.
Any ideas where should I look for the problem?.

thank you

Sponsored Links

10-27-03, 07:48 AM   #2  
Just wondering, did you just install this radio?
Fuses blow because the wires are shorted to ground somewhere. I am a little unclear as to which lights do not work...
there's the back up lights, parking lights, stop lights, and directional lights.........which ones blow the fuse?

Visiting Guest

10-27-03, 08:15 AM   #3  
caraloca
Hi, sorry about my poor description of the lights.
the lights that does not work are the lights on the back, that I have to turn on when you are at night, only the front lights works. (the stop lights work, the back up lights work too).
About the radio, yes I installed myself about a year ago and everything was fine then the problems started. if I have the radio on and I turn the night lights on, my radio will turn off, but it did not blow any fuse and I did not really care about it.
Now when I turn those lights on (night lights) the fuse blows inmediatly. I removed the radio to see if is better but still the same.
About the directional lights, they does not work but that is a problem that start when my friend tried to fix the night lights ( I think they moved something in the fuses box).

Thank you for your help and time.

Visiting Guest

10-27-03, 08:56 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Do you have a trailer wiring harness on this vehicle? A poorly done install will cause the problems you're talking about.

10-27-03, 04:45 PM   #5  
I would try totally disconnecting that radio. It sound like the light feed for the radio is shorting out somewhere. The radio is a good place to start. I'd put a circuit breaker in place of the fuse to help find the problem. Just keep disconnecting related wiring like the individual tail lights until the short stops. Sometimes it as simple as the wrong bulb in one of the lights.

10-28-03, 05:45 AM   #6  
Originally posted by Desi501
I would try totally disconnecting that radio. It sound like the light feed for the radio is shorting out somewhere. The radio is a good place to start. I'd put a circuit breaker in place of the fuse to help find the problem. Just keep disconnecting related wiring like the individual tail lights until the short stops. Sometimes it as simple as the wrong bulb in one of the lights.
And after you take the radio out, make sure there aren't any bare wires touching anything, put tape over the ends.

Visiting Guest

10-28-03, 06:58 AM   #7  
Joe_F
I'd double agree on the radio install. Sounds like the root of the problem.

Visiting Guest

10-28-03, 03:38 PM   #8  
caraloca
Ok, I will check the radio and the wires and hopefully I found the problem
Thank very much.

Search this Thread