fule filter

Old 10-28-03, 12:35 AM
bowlingpro2501
Visiting Guest
Smile fule filter

Hay guys. I have a question. over the weekend me and my dad tryed to change my trucks fule filter(79 gmc c1500 with the 350 4bbl) and in the manual it said it had an in line filter but we cant find it. then we noticed that in the book it talks about Rodchester carbs and then I noticed that I have a Holly carb. So we then we thought that the filter was inside the carb so we tryed to take a part the chamber where the fule line goes into the carb and we couldent move the nut at all. could the filter be somewhere else? if it is inside the carb how do we get it out? if you need anymore info let me know and I will try to get it for you. Thank you again guys.. Matt

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-03, 05:32 AM
The original set up with the Rochester carb had a fuel filter screwed into the float bowl. The location of the filter at this point is where they put in when they put the Holly on.
Bad decision, by the way......but that's just me...

Old 10-28-03, 07:00 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I'd agree the Holley was a bad choice here as it will never run 100% compared to even a stock Q-jet for that truck.

I'd be shopping for a Q-jet for it. Hit some junkyards, should be able to find the right one very easily.

Depends on which Holley you have as to what was done with the fuel filter.

Old 10-28-03, 01:43 PM
bowlingpro2501
Visiting Guest
ok, how do I find out what type of Holly I have? any numbers I can give you? I do not know cause I did not put the carb on in the first place. And about the Q-jet do I look for one of the same year? And I will add that to the list of things to do. Right now the holly is geting the job done. and cause I have no money I cant do anything with the carb at this moment. What benifents will I get to swiching to the Q-jet? Thanks for your help guys, have a good day.

Old 10-28-03, 02:22 PM
It's Fuel not Fule, And just put a universal inline filter between the fuel pump outlet and the carb inlet.

Old 10-28-03, 04:35 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
On the air horn, there is a four digit # in most cases. If you e-mail Holley or call them, they can help identify it.

Advantages of a Q-jet:

Idle
Power
Driveability
Looks
Fuel Economy
Ease of hookup
Emission control
Originality
Correctness

etc, etc, etc. etc. Far superior in every way. Go to any GM dealer that has a copy of the 79-84 C,K Series GM parts book (all will) and ask them what stamping #s were right for your vehicle. Take a copy of that and look for trucks with that # on the carburetor in th junkyard.

You can also try www.junkyarddog.com to locate one as well.

Old 10-28-03, 04:56 PM
KurtDixon
Visiting Guest
I am pretty sure it was just a typo and he kind of has to find the old filter anyway even if he was adding a universal so he could remove it (I don't see the point to adding a universal anyway.)

Old 10-28-03, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by KurtDixon
I am pretty sure it was just a typo and he kind of has to find the old filter anyway even if he was adding a universal so he could remove it (I don't see the point to adding a universal anyway.)
A typo 3 times? OK. And since this didn't utilize an internal filter a universal filter will do just fine.

Old 10-28-03, 07:47 PM
KurtDixon
Visiting Guest
Oh, I guess he did spell it wrong, and uhhhhh....what's your point.......

Old 10-28-03, 07:59 PM
bowlingpro2501
Visiting Guest
Ok first off sorry for my poor spelling. I dident think it would be that big of a deal. And I did think about puting on a FUEL!! filter on but I thought that the old one still needed to be changed cause of all of the junk thats in that filter.

And thank you Joe again for your help. I will get the number as soon as I can. and when I get the other stuff done on the truck that are more importan I will get the correct carb and mabe thats why it is hard for me to start the truck when it is so cold. it just seems like it is starveing of gas and offen times just shuts off after a few sec of running or it runs so rough that if I touch the gas it quits... thanks again guys for your help............ oh my canopy rubs on the cab is there a way to make it quiet or not rub? mabe puting some kind of tape or something. I cant back it off cause there is no room to do so. thank you again.... matt

Old 10-28-03, 08:04 PM
KurtDixon
Visiting Guest
LOL don't worry about it, I think a few people are a little "cough, cough" uptight... Let's relax If the fuelfilter is clogged, either change it or change it and add a universal, either way you needed to know where it is, it sounds like you now know?

Old 10-29-03, 02:09 AM
Not uptight at all buddy, but atleast he knows how to spell fuel now.

Old 10-29-03, 03:59 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Pro:

Hit a camper or RV shop. They should have some sort of insulating tape you can use for this purpose.

Yes, Holleys can be a pain to start cold. Another advantage of a Rochester (automatic choke ).

Old 10-29-03, 04:11 AM
bowlingpro2501
Visiting Guest
If the Q-Jet are so good then I wonder what posessed the previous owner/s to put on the holley then?!? It sees a bit weird. But anyway thats just another thing to get done on the truck. But I still love it. shes worth the money I think. How much do you think a Q-jet might set me back? How do I know if it is in working order? How do I make sure that I pick a good carb if I go to a junk yard? And thanks guys for your great survice here ... thanks again Joe...... Matt

Old 10-29-03, 04:16 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Because they thought they would "go faster" with a Holley .

Bottom line: For a street application, and most strip/street, etc combinations, a Rochester is far superior.

As for if the carburetor you get it is good, make sure it's complete, not rusty and not full of water. Don't take it off of a vehicle where the hood is missing on the truck----good chance it's taken on some rain

Each yard is different for what they will charge for parts. I'd say around 25 to 35 bones for a rebuildable Rochester is reasonable. Have it done professionally & set up by someone good with carburetors if you lack the appropriate shop manual, tools and knowledge to do it yourself.

The vehicle is worth fixing to you because you like it--that's the main thing .

Old 10-29-03, 04:22 AM
bowlingpro2501
Visiting Guest
WOW joe that was quick, you must be a fast typer . thanks again. Is it hard to put on a carb? I am sure that if I can ever find the good manuals you talk about it might make it easyer. I amagin that there is a bit more to it then just takeing off the old one and bolting on the new one. and yes your right about the truck . it is my first and I love it lol

Old 10-29-03, 09:12 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Arrow

Depends on your ability, time and access to tools, etc.

Adjusting and setting these up can be tricky if you're not in the know about it. A good old time shop shouldn't charge much to rebuild it and set it up properly for you