shakes

Old 10-29-03, 08:57 PM
jrodcat
Visiting Guest
shakes

84 Celica GT, 150K miles, started out pulling to the left, good tires, less than 2 years old. Now when I go over 55 MPH, the steering wheel shakes real bad from side to side. If I stay under 55 MPH it's fine, still pulls to one side though, think it might need an alignment?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-03, 09:32 PM
When was the last time you did an allignment? I would say you need both an allignment and a tire ballancing. Did you run into any big potholes lately?

Old 10-30-03, 02:02 AM
fatcatdj
Visiting Guest
Hahah--that's a RX for a wheel ballance/alignment. Typical for over 50mph
shakes. A car that old will probably need a new drag link and tie rod ends. Expect for a big $$$ alignment bill. Or wear out your tires B4 their time. Good luck.

Old 10-30-03, 06:40 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
If you rotate the tires front to back, does the problem go away/move to the back?

Start here first.

Old 10-30-03, 10:30 AM
What joe said...
Swap your tires front to back and see if the shake changes. Tires can look fine but with a shifted belt drive you nuts looking. Poor alignment can cause your tires to fail.

Old 11-01-03, 06:11 AM
Dpdblues
Visiting Guest
Check Tires

I know you probally have done this, but check all of the tires over again, make sure that you dont have a piece of tread tearing. I had the same problem and was told that it needs an alighnment, that I may need new joint, the whole kit and kaboodle, come to find out, I had the tread tearing and pulling from the tire.

Old 11-01-03, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by fatcatdj
Hahah--that's a RX for a wheel ballance/alignment. Typical for over 50mph
shakes. A car that old will probably need a new drag link and tie rod ends. Expect for a big $$$ alignment bill. Or wear out your tires B4 their time. Good luck.
Wow, new drag link on my rack and pinion steering..Good advice!!!!!

Now reality, that Toyota has no adjustment for camber and caster built in so if you developed a pull without doing anything short of bending the framework, it has to be a radial pull. Rotate the tires and it should go away. This is assuming that you don't have a pull when applying the brakes which would be a brake problem. The vibration is likely a balance problem although there must be some reason for it appearing suddenly. (possible bent wheel)

Old 11-01-03, 11:05 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
cheap and/or non-regularly rotated tires can easily cause a pulling AND shaking condition at highway speed.

as stated, rotate the tires and see what happens, if you can do it yourself, it's basically free. then worry about other things, and while the front tires are off the ground, check the tie-rod ends for wear, ones that are worn 'dangerous' will cause the steering wheel to shake.

low tire pressure will also cause a pull, and can't be checked accurately with an 'eye' use a good gauge

Old 11-07-03, 06:12 PM
bfegan
Visiting Guest
tire shake

try rotating the tires front to back. if there is still a shake you should check for any small bulging on your tires.
this is usually a broken belt in the tread. with the front tires off the ground and the steering unlocked check the tie-rod ends (inner/outer), by slightly pulling from side to side. feel for looseness. check the ball joints by pulling top to bottem. also if there is movement other than tie-rod/ball joint it might be the wheel/hub bearings.

the pull could be tire related. you may also have a brake caliper starting to sieze. check if the pad wear is greater on the pull side.

Old 11-07-03, 06:23 PM
jimmymc
Visiting Guest
For a test...I always swapped the front tires side to side...if it goes the other way... you have a tire pull. Why bring something unknown from the back.

The shaking is probably a combination of worn out parts and bad tires.

jimmymc