gas odor in cold weather

Old 10-30-03, 07:02 AM
sleepyfloyd
Visiting Guest
gas odor in cold weather

I have a strong gasoline odor when I stop my 97 Plymouth Voyager. This only happens during the Fall and Winter when the air temperature drops. I took it into the dealership last year to check for leaks and they said there was nothing wrong with it.

Anybody have any suggestions?

-sleepy floyd

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-03, 07:43 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Check the gas cap seal for one. Any check engine light or stored trouble codes?

Old 10-30-03, 02:45 PM
sleepyfloyd
Visiting Guest
no.. not really.. unless you count the replaced O2 Sensor... that I've posted about in other threads..

but the gas smell pre-dates the Check Engine code / O2 Sensor replacement by at least a year..

-sleepy floyd

Old 10-30-03, 03:58 PM
Can't help ya.....We don't get cold weather here.............

Old 10-31-03, 09:10 AM
sleepyfloyd
Visiting Guest
Is the fuel schedule impacted at all by cold weather?

Old 10-31-03, 04:03 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
If applicable, check the hose between the filler nozzle and the tank. Also the return lines If it has a canister filter, check that out also.

Old 11-01-03, 11:25 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
it sure would help to know which engine you have.

first thing---are all your recalls done, like the fuel rail recall(3.3/3.8L)?

start the car up (when the smell is most evident) and look with a flashlight at the fuel rail, any wet spot is the problem, especially if it's a 3.3/3.8L, if not, then follow the line back to the tank and you should see something wet somewhere to give you the smell

if it was a gas vapor (fumes) leak anywhere, you would have the check engine light on by now and with a corresponding stored fault code

Old 11-03-03, 05:47 AM
sleepyfloyd
Visiting Guest
oops.. sorry, 3.0L V6 engine.. Its a 97 Plymouth Voyager SE.

where's the fuel rail?

I havent gotten any recall notices on it form Plymouth, other than the Rear Seat Belt Mastic.

-sleepy floyd

Old 11-03-03, 06:36 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
ok, different story---3.0L don't have fuel rail problems, and i've only seen one injector leak externally in my life. which means you need to still get a flashlight, and look at every inch of the fuel line from the tank to the injectors, even the smallest wet spot is going to cause the smell. if there was an 'evaporative' leak, you probably would have had a code and check engine light by now, the same as a loose gas cap.

fyi, the rail is hidden under the intake plenum, but still can be seen, the line runs down the frame starting where the belts are and winds it's way back to the fuel tank. you might have had a fuel tank 'o-ring' recall, some did, some didn't, and it's not uncommon to have the new one installed incorrectly. there are also hoses on the canister which have a slight tendency to crack, but this usually kicks a light way before there is a smell(the canister should be under the car, right under the driver's seat area)

what you are looking for can also be a 'dirty' spot, on an otherwise clean fuel line, most leaks start out small, and as the fuel evaporates quicker than it can drip, it leaves a sticky mess(like stale gas in an old carburetor), this goo accumulates dust and stuff and can usually be seen quite easily.

let us know what you find

(call any dealer with your vin#, they'll tell you if you have any outstanding recalls)

Old 11-05-03, 09:02 AM
Could be an injector.

My 1993 Dodge Caravan had an injector leaking at the electrical connector interface. When cold, I smelled gasoline. When hot, it evaporated too quickly. I replaced all six injectors and had no more gas smells. Hope this helps.

Tony