Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Saturn reliability

Visiting Guest

10-30-03, 07:20 AM   #1  
Carie
Saturn reliability

I am looking to buy a used Saturn. It is '95 model 4-dr.
I was just wanting to know if anyone has had experience w/ Saturns or is familiar with any known "Saturn Quirks". Any reply as to the dependability, mechanically or otherwise would be appreciated

Thanks in advance for any input

Carie

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-30-03, 07:40 AM   #2  
Joe_F
My mother has a 1993 SL2. Lackluster quality.

Not bad, easy to fix, parts are cheap, but could be a little more refined than it is. You're better off with 1999 and up, they made some improvements.

You won't go "wrong", but you won't get a refined vehicle.

Visiting Guest

10-30-03, 05:10 PM   #3  
Carie
Joe,

Thanks for your input. I did buy the Saturn. It was in superior condition and was a steal. I am quite pleased with it.

Thanks again,
Carie

Group Moderator

FL

10-31-03, 04:29 AM   #4  
I recently had cause to ask the same question of the best mechanic I know (my younger brother's sis-in-law was offered a really good deal). His answer was similar to what Joe said; decent car, nothing facny, and will probably give you good service. He DID say that Saturn alternators have a fairly high failure rate, but not so bad as to turn down a good deal on one.

Visiting Guest

10-31-03, 04:53 AM   #5  
Carie
Well, I was very surprised that it was in the condition it was in. To be an 8 year old car it is in superior condition, physically and mechanically. It still sounds like a new car and runs so smooth. When i test drove it yesterday, I took it to Interstate and got it up to 80 mph and it didn't shimmy, shudder or road walk. I checked everything on it i knew to check, right down to how it may blow my hair when the window is down, lol. I got a damn good deal on it paying only $1200. It was apparently well maintained by the previous owner.

Anyway thanks guys

Visiting Guest

10-31-03, 07:44 AM   #6  
Joe_F
I would be wary of a vehicle like that, sounds like it's less than book value---usually that means there are issues.

You DID run a Carfax report and verify it, right?

Search this Thread