remote engine starter

Old 10-30-03, 02:34 PM
Question remote engine starter

I have a 1986 f150. I am trying to install a remote engine starter and keyless entry. THe keyless entry went fine. However, when I looked at the ignition wire harness only one of the wires actually matched the color codes in my repair manual. There are several other wires in the same harness but all of different colors than indicated in my repair manual. The harness has the orignal ford wrap around it. Does any body know how to identify wires not found in the repair manual. Any Ideas. Any Help would be Greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-03, 04:02 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Yikes. What repair manual are you using? If it's not a Ford one, throw it out, useless.

Projects like this separate the men from from the boys with repair manual information. Remote starters are a bad idea. Starting the vehicle unattended is asking for problems and a dangerous condition.

Also, tapping into that nice factory wrapped harness is asking for electrical gremlins later on....

Old 10-31-03, 07:43 AM
I am using a haynes manual. It has been accurate for as long as i can remember on my past projects. I do recall that about a two years ago the turn signal switch was changed out. I wonder do those come with different color wires than the original?

I have weighed all of the options of wether or not to install a remote starter. THe engine in my truck can take 5 to 10 minutes to warm up on a day with cold tempatures. I grew tired of having to put on a coat and gloves just to go out and start the truck and then go back and complete what i was doing inside. I will mostlikly remove the device during the months when it is not neccessary. I am using solder to make my connections. I am not actually cutting any wires, I remove some insulation, then wrap the wire, and solder, then insulate.

Old 10-31-03, 07:47 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Haynes is hardly the bastion of reliability in the forum of manuals---and you're seeing that now. Pony up for a Ford manual if you are going to do this.

Again, you are asking for trouble tapping into the harness like that. More connections. More problems, more stuff to undo later on (when it goes bad---and these do).

Gets cold here in NYC. I warm up the car for 1 minute and take off slowly letting it build up warmth and in 10 minutes I have heat. You're wasting fuel idling like that and only wearing things out more by doing so .

Old 10-31-03, 09:03 AM
Sometimes we get off of the question here and get into safety lectures. Just so you understand the risks.
The Haynes Manual is a crap shoot when it comes to wire colors. Otherwise the schematics are fairly accurate.
You should be able to find a manual for a 86 Ford fairly easy on E-bay. Also, Joe's got some pretty good links, I'm sure he'll be glad to throw them on this board for you.

Old 10-31-03, 12:06 PM
I checked a manual a friend of mine had on the same series of vehicles, it was a chilton. This manual showed the exact same colors as my haynes. I suppose my only next course of action would be to hunt down an orignal factory manual for the wiring on my truck. Thanks Guys.

Old 10-31-03, 12:54 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I just sold one to a guy back in July . LOL.

They are out there on the net as DD stated.