Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Headlights burning out

Visiting Guest

11-02-03, 12:20 PM   #1  
RMB
Headlights burning out

The left headlight keeps burning out in my 98 Lincoln Navigator almost as soon as I replace it, HELP!! (Please..)

Sponsored Links

11-02-03, 12:57 PM   #2  
Not sure if you know you cannot touch the bulb. Oils from your skin will cause the blub to burn out prematurely.

Larry

Visiting Guest

11-02-03, 05:09 PM   #3  
RMB
Thanks; Have been very careful not to touch the bulb. Is it possible I have some kind of short blowing the bulbs? If so, any ideas on how to check??

Thanks.

11-02-03, 05:31 PM   #4  
If there was a "short" the bulb wouldn't receive any current.
And would not light.

I'm almost going to say there is no such thing as a shorted bulb, but i have seen it where the internal wires in a bulb were almost crossed. When it would heat up and expand the wires would short and blow the fuse.

Too much voltage, vibration, dirty bulb, water getting at the hot bulb would cause the bulb to go bad.

How many bulbs have you replaced? How long do they last and what brand?

Larry

11-03-03, 07:38 AM   #5  
I would change the socket that holds the bulb or really make sure it's clean, If the socket is dirty the bulb will light and unlight cycling on and off which will fry the bulb.

Visiting Guest

11-13-03, 03:00 PM   #6  
rwj74
make sure there is no moisture in the housing

Visiting Guest

11-13-03, 03:39 PM   #7  
RMB
thanks all; have repaired it and all is like new!

11-13-03, 03:43 PM   #8  
I've replaced burn out head lamps with new 'untouched' lamps, only to have them burn out a month later. It's aggravating as *!%*. Yet, each time, the second bulb seems to last forever.

Until someone can explain this phenomena to me, I prefer to put the blame on the lamp manufacturer. In fact, my approach is to return the lamp to the store, without a receipt, and with an attitude, demanding a replacement bulb. It has worked for me in the past.

My theory is that if the lamp last one month, then it will last for years. If you like that theory, then you should hear my other theorys, such as synthetic verses regular oil. Just kidding

Search this Thread