Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

'96 T-bird check engine light

Visiting Guest

11-02-03, 01:11 PM   #1  
AngieL
'96 T-bird check engine light

I have a 1996 Ford Thunderbird with 70,700 miles on it. About a week ago, the check engine light came on. We took it in for service and they said the scope deetermined that it was the O2 sensor. All four O2's were replaced as well as the plugs and wires. When we did an oil change a few weeks ago, the PCV valve was also replaced.
The engine light went out after getting it back from the shop for about 10 minutes. It's back on again.
The Chilton's manual says to disconnect the negative battery cable....we did that, and also tried disconnecting the battery completely...the light is still on.
Chilton's also suggests to reset the "trip reset button". We don't have any idea where this button is.
The car is running great, no hesitations at all, just can't get that light to go out. Any ideas? Thanks!

Sponsored Links

11-02-03, 04:13 PM   #2  
No, you don't want to "just put the light out". The light is telling you something is wrong. The guy that sold you 4 O/2 sensors had no clue what he was doing. It's need's to be scanned and diagnosed by a reputable technician. The O/2 sensors are usually just an indicator of another problem and rarely fail on their own without having an underlying problem that caused it. It will likely damage something if you ignore the problem.

Forum Topic Moderator

WA

11-02-03, 07:10 PM   #3  
I would check the electrical connections on the new O2 sensors. I have a 94 t-bird with over 100,000 and have had one go bad.

Mike
Retired Real Estate Broker
Home Remodeler
Do it Yourselfer

Visiting Guest

11-03-03, 05:40 AM   #4  
Joe_F
I agree with Desi. The problem is elsewhere. The shop threw parts at the code--that's not the right way to fix ther problem.

There is no "magic box" that tells a technician what's wrong (directly anyhow). You have to take and interpret the data and what's wrong .

11-03-03, 07:27 PM   #5  
Need to check the BARO PID reading? MAF sensor could be the problem. I'm like the rest WHY would you replace all O2 sensors? The air filter is usually the reason the MAF sensor needs to be replaced because people just don't change these enough. Ask them if they checked FUEL TRIMS long and short TERM. These help diagnose a LEAN or RICH condition.

Search this Thread