i have a 85 ford Ltd

Old 11-02-03, 07:46 PM
cdeansr
Visiting Guest
i have a 85 ford Ltd

it won't start.it acts like it wants to but it won't.i have changed the ignition module,battery,distributer cap,the rotter,and i even took the coil to autozone to get checked(but that is fine.)none of that got it started again.i have bought spark plugs but haven't put them in yet and thought about getting spark plug wires.what do i do to get my car running again?please help my wife is getting mad for all the money i've spent already.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-03, 07:48 PM
KurtDixon
Visiting Guest
BAD idea to through parts at it, but I think you now realize that Are you getting fuel?

Old 11-02-03, 10:01 PM
fordguy
Visiting Guest
try pouring a little gas into the carbueretor, if it then runs a bit then it's most likely your fuel pump.

Old 11-03-03, 04:49 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
STOP!!! Whoa Nelley.

Don't throw parts at the problem---you've already spent WAY too much.

You need to, as noted by others,verify if you have fuel and spark. Start with my "The Basics".

Also, you don't tell us what engine you have. Both the 5.0 and the 5.8 were used in the '85 full size Ford this year. (Assuming that's what we're talking about and it's not a midsize LTD) The 5.0 is fuel injected (very crude version of it) and the 5.8 is 2 barrel carbureted.

Last edited by Joe_F; 11-03-03 at 05:05 AM.
Old 11-05-03, 06:14 PM
cdeansr
Visiting Guest
more info

it i a v6 3.8 liter engine.it is getting gas.but now the car won't start at all and the battery is only 3 days old and it's dead.please help if you can.

Old 11-06-03, 07:19 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Hence it's a midsize LTD, not a full size one. Different heap, same procedures to find the problem.

Again, is there fuel and spark? Start with my "The Basics" post.

Old 11-06-03, 08:47 AM
cdeansr
Visiting Guest
more info

yes getting gas no spark.

Old 11-06-03, 10:17 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
If you pull off the distributor cap and have someone crank the engine, does the distributor rotor turn? If not, the timing chain has broken/jumped.

Old 11-06-03, 06:17 PM
cdeansr
Visiting Guest
more info

The timing chain is fine, what else could it be

Old 11-06-03, 07:35 PM
jimmymc
Visiting Guest
I may be wrong... but I think some Fords along this year model had a reset switch that shut everything off if the car was in a accident....I believe it was usually located in the trunk.

Worth a try...

jimmymc

Old 11-07-03, 07:39 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Yes, but that would likely cause a no fuel condition. Inertia switch is what you mean and yes I believe this had one.

Original poster: You're missing something here. Start from square one. Do you have a repair manual for this?