Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

not starting

Visiting Guest

11-02-03, 10:00 PM   #1  
bowlingpro2501
not starting

hay guys I got a weird problem... ok so heres whats goin on. this morning I went to go check out the fuses so I started from the top down and pulling of one at a time so that I dont mix them up. and ones that I couldent take out I left in there. so I went down and found one that was blown. so I put one in of same number(after I put that one in I pressed the horn mabe 4 times cause it hadent been working prior to this and it worked) so I went down and dident find any other blown fuses. so about an hour or two later I went out to check the fluids in the truck and when I went to start my truck to check the trans and it dident start at all not even a click, nothing! nothing works on my truck! not the lights,radio,power door locks, nothing! so I went to look at the fuses again and checked them all and they were all fine. the thing is that the only thing that I have done is change that one fuse. the truck ran great the day befor. and later today I went down there with a flashlight and saw that there were some incorect fuses in there(or that I can tell) so I changed them. and the same thing happened. I am wondering can it be the main fuses? are they the ones that are big and made out of metal and have stampings that say 30 amps 12 volts on the top of them? and as I am sure you know its a 79 gmc c1500 with the 350.... I hope that made sence and you know what happend... thank you very much again guys! matt

Last edited by bowlingpro2501; 11-02-03 at 10:46 PM.

Sponsored Links

11-02-03, 10:29 PM   #2  
have you tried jump starting the vehicle?
you need to check your battery, battery cables and connections first as if you dont have any power you likely have a problem there, if none found you can check fusible links at starter and junction block on firewall to see if any is blown by pulling on them if they pull apart they need to be replaced.

Visiting Guest

11-02-03, 10:33 PM   #3  
bowlingpro2501
No I dident try that. cause I think tha battery is just fine cause the truck starts with one turn of the key once it warms up. unless a battery can drain its self from the time I changed the fuse and I went out there to start it?.... and I will check the other links. thank you

Visiting Guest

12-04-03, 11:17 PM   #4  
bowlingpro2501
Thank you

Hay guys, sorry for not doing this earlyer. it was a dead battery. I charged it up and put it back in and havent had a problem yet. but my horn keeps on blowing the fuse.... but thats not the reason I am here.. same truck. I found out that one or more of the valvs are out of addjustment. Cause it makes a taping noise. it sounds like its only one mabe two valvs. How hard is it to do it your self? is this something I can do? Thank you guys for your help. Matt

12-05-03, 05:26 PM   #5  
they dont usually get out of adjustment unless rocker arm nuts are reused as they are locking type nuts that should be replaced any time they may be removed for engine work.
I would suggest you try an oil additive first such as rislone and if you still have lifter noise after a few weeks of using the additive then you can try adjusting the valves to see if they are out of adjustment or if you have another problem.
the easiest way to adjust them is by removing the valve covers and loosening one rocker nut at a time with engine running until you hear a very noticable tappet sound and then tighten down 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn do this to all of them, one side at a time. if you still have valvetrain noise after doing so you likely have another worn valvetrain component causing the noise, if it goes away you should probably get some new rocker arm nuts and readjust them so they wont loosen up on you in the future.

Search this Thread