Opinions on used SUV's

Old 11-03-03, 11:28 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Opinions on used SUV's

I need a mid-sized, used SUV in the approx $15,000 price range. It needs to be able to pull a fair-sized boat over mountain passes and maintain highway speeds. I don't know that I need 4-wheel drive, but it would be nice. I'm thinking Ford Explorer or Jeep Grand Cherokee, with V8 engines.

I usually keep my vehicles a long time so I am interested in dependability, reliability, and ease of basic maintenance.

Any suggestions and/or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-03-03, 07:34 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
whatever you decide to buy, make sure it has maintenance receipts accurately kept and in order, it will say alot about the person in general as well as the vehicle's shape.

also make sure you match the weight of the trailer with the vehicle's capacity to tow, then add a trans cooler to be even safer.

towing is harder on the drivetrain than normal driving and mountains add to that, so YOU will be doing even more routine maintenance due to the higher temps generated inside things(like engine, trans, rear axle and brakes)

my first choice would be a diesel, much better mileage, heavier duty powertrain, more power, they're basically made for towing.

(today's diesels are quiet too)

my two cents

Old 11-03-03, 08:42 PM
cheapfurcoat
Visiting Guest
I can tell you what not to buy.
A Mitsubishi Montero or Montero Sport.
It's not that they aren't good vehicles. It's that they cost a flipp'in fortune to maintain. I mean stupid stuff like having to drop the fuel tank to put a fuel filter in. What mastermind thought that up?

Old 11-04-03, 03:42 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Anything from the big three should be fine to tow. And the parts will be more reasonable and available in more places.

I'd skip the flimsy foreign light duty SUV's, many of them aren't up to the task of towing anything substantial, else you'd see more of them doing so.

As noted, make sure the vehicle and its equipment are up to the task.

Old 11-04-03, 03:49 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Hey cheapfurcoat, I think it was the same person that put the fuel pump IN the gas tank on a Regal we had. LOL...Not.

I jump in here because a friend just bought a 2000 Explorer with the V-8 this summer and I would say that 13,000+ should buy one now. This is a really nice little truck and if I remember right towing wt. on it was well over 5000 lbs.

Whatever you decide to go with should have an 8 cylinder but get in here and get these car pros to verify that it has enough transmission for the task. I find that these newer trucks have plenty of engine but are weak in the trans area if you don't go with a towing upgrade.....Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: