Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

97 Blazer eats belts

11-03-03, 07:32 AM   #1  
97 Blazer eats belts

Have a 97 blazer that after 3-4 months the serpentine belt starts chirping/squealing. Since we have an ext. warranty I had the dealer check it, and they claim its because I put a non-GM belt on it (total bs). I know there's a TSB on the power steering pulley alignment (77-60-02). I know it has to do with how far the pulley is installed on the shaft. Anyone have access to the TSB text that can give me the correct dimension to check? Dealer wouldn't give me a printout (time for a new dealer, I know).

Thanks!
Craig

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

11-03-03, 10:20 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Since Dayco makes most GM belts for them, ya the dealer is not too sharp. LOL.

Call up another GM dealer and tell them you'd like to see the bulletin before you buy the parts so you're sure you'll fix it right. A good parts dept/dealer will happily make you a copy.

I'd be on the blower with GM to give 'em lip about the first dealer not having a clue and not wanting to help. The belt's source (OEM versus aftermarket) has nothing to do with it, the alignment of the pulleys sure does.

11-03-03, 01:53 PM   #3  
The front of the pulley should be flush(+.010 to-.010)with the pump shaft.Not really anything new as far as p/s pumps go.

Visiting Guest

11-03-03, 02:26 PM   #4  
darrell McCoy
Yep a dealer like that would P*** me off big time, then they wonder why they lose a customer. You can possibly straight edge the pulley with the others, like Davo sez +010, -010. GM belt or otherwise is OK as long as it is a real good quality. Seen guys use these 15.00 belts and it works for them. I use dayco and they are about 40 bucks give or take, retail. Lay them side by side and you can see a difference.

11-03-03, 06:47 PM   #5  
I don't know, there may be something to this. I personally own a 98 Blazer and recently have noticed my belt is extremely noisey when cold. I replaced that belt with a Gates very recently. There seem to be no alignment issues and the tensioner seems fine. There hasn't been any coolant spilled on the belt either. I haven't gotten too deeply into it yet but it sounds like what the poster is referring to. I was getting ready to change the belt again but there may be an issue with these Blazers we're not aware of.

11-04-03, 06:18 AM   #6  
My noisiness starts out as chirping when cold, then progresses to all out squealing all the time. Like I said, there is a TSB on the problem, so it is fairly common (at least the PS pump alignment problem) Don't remember whether this one is a Dayco or Gates belt, but its the expensive "lifetime" one from Advance. Thanks for the pulley dimensions, I think it may be that. Seems just from memory (no measurement) that it may be more than .1" from flush. Should be fun to try to get in there to align it, considering the amount of room between it and the fan and shroud.

VA

11-04-03, 08:45 AM   #7  
about serp belts...

...pulley alignment is critical! Keep in mind that they not only must be in line depth wise but also their angularity...in other words a power steering pulley can be can be at the correct depth in relation to the end of the pump shaft but the pump mounting must also be correct. With the belt installed ALL pulleys must line up parallel to the crank pulley, a steel ruler or a framing square may be laid across the pulley faces to determine if this geometry is correct. For an indication of this condition, look closely at the flat pulleys to where the belt rides (closer to one edge that the other, walking up or off the edge, etc)...as for the grooved pulleys, look closely at the old belt...the peaks and valleys should look very uniform...even on an old belt. Many problems are caused by improper reinstallation of components during another repair, improper or missing fasteners, cracked or broken mounting brackets, worn idler or tensioner pulley bearings. Rarely is the belt the cause of noise...it's most likely the result of something else worn, misinstalled or broken. Hope this helps...

11-04-03, 12:04 PM   #8  
Yep, that's exactly why I asked the dealer to look at it (since we have an extended warranty). Rather than take the time to find the problem, they just dismissed it out of hand as being the belts fault. And people ask me why I do my own work (unless its a warranty thing).....

Visiting Guest

11-04-03, 12:56 PM   #9  
Joe_F
I have the bulletin here, and I can fax it to you if you post a fax #.

Since you do your own work on cars, a $25 yearly Alldata subscription is something you should pony up for in the near future

Search this Thread