12v tire inflaters

Old 11-03-03, 03:32 PM
12v tire inflaters

are these 12 volt tire pumps for emergencies any good?are there any that are better than others? how long does it take to use them to get enough air to get you out of trouble? just wandering.thanks for any info.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-03, 04:03 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
My opinion, most are over rated and do not perform as you would like. However, I have have seen a few good comments on one called "truck Air" Thinking Kmart did sell them but they are in the 45 to 50 buck range. You get what you pay for in these units. If you have an instant flat, nothing will air it anyhow. A good idea in these is to rig a couple alligator clips to hook direct to battery, not the lighter.

Old 11-03-03, 04:27 PM
Group Moderator
I'm currently using a unit purchased from Sam's Club for under $50 for doing jump starts and tire changes. Has the usual jump start capability plus has the 12v tire pump built in. Doesn't get real heavy use, maybe 3 or 4 jumps a week and a couple of spare tires to air up when doing a tire change. Was previously using separate battery pack and small 12v pump, but the jumper box gave out after 5+ years and since I had to replace that anyway I opted for one with the pump included. One less thing to tote around. I have no doubt the air pump will fail long before the jump start battery function, but so far so good.

Usually takes 5-10 minutes to air up a spare that's really low. Not a good idea to run them for more than about 10 minutes without letting them cool off. We've actually gotten pretty good service out of the $10-12 air pump units. Think the one I was using (and still works if my all-in-one unit fails) is about 2 years old.

Old 11-04-03, 09:33 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Probably OK for an emergency. Enough to get air in the tire to get you to the gas station to fill it up properly or get the tire repaired .