Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

won't start cold

Visiting Guest

11-04-03, 04:22 AM   #1  
sljim
won't start cold

I have a 1990 f350 with a 460 engine runs good but when it gets colder than 15 degrees it will not start unless you plug in the block heater for an hour than fires right up In the last few months replaced fuel pump and filters cap rotor wires plugs air filter always started good before even at 10 below zero turns over good when cold just seems like no fuel if it does start when cold it runs like not getting fuel till it gets warm htan runs fine till it sits over night Seems like a sencor problem but never had one act like this

Sponsored Links

11-04-03, 06:20 AM   #2  
Are you fuel injected or carborated? You may have an obstructed fuel line that congeels when cold and opens when warmer. Look at your fuel lines and if you have 90 to 180 degree bends I would start there. Also if you're carbed you may need a rebuild. You can tell if you pour gas in the carb when cold and it starts.

Visiting Guest

11-04-03, 09:31 AM   #3  
Joe_F
1990 460's in this truck are all MFI injected. No carb. in this year...

When's the last time it saw any maintenance?

Visiting Guest

11-04-03, 04:10 PM   #4  
KurtDixon
In fact, there were NO carbed cars this year and up was there? I thought the last carbed vehicle was a 1989 model?

11-04-03, 04:51 PM   #5  
i would suspect a bad coolant temp sensor or possibly a weak ignition coil.

Visiting Guest

11-04-03, 08:48 PM   #6  
mike from nj
i 'second' the ignition coil, i've seen it happen on other makes of cars.

it's easily tested too, get a spark tester and hook it up to the coil, then try to start it on a cold day. no spark= a bad coil, all else being the same, then take a hair dryer to the coil and heat it, then after a few minutes, recheck for spark, it works for me.

***In the last few months replaced fuel pump and filters cap rotor wires plugs air filter***

kurt---i think one or two imports held out with a carb until the early 90's, (i think).

Visiting Guest

11-04-03, 10:00 PM   #7  
KurtDixon
I think 1990 was the last vehicle with a carb. According to howstuffworks.com, the last one with a carb was the Subaru Justy. But I suppose there could have been one or two after that. I find it interesing that in 10 short years, FI totally took over a technology (carburetion) that had been in place for 80+ years.

Visiting Guest

11-04-03, 10:08 PM   #8  
mike from nj
FI had to take over, you'll never make a carb car run near as close in emissions as an injected one. i can tell a(carbed) one just by driving behind one, no smoke, i can smell the emissions.

now try to find a car that still has a distributor in it, i think a few are still holding out, but again, better emissions.

not too far down the road will the camshaft be disappearing too, this will be a good thing, as emissions will be even better, but power will dramatically improve.

Visiting Guest

11-04-03, 10:30 PM   #9  
KurtDixon
Oh ya, FI taking over was a great thing to happen. I didn't say it was bad. I just said it was surprising that it took over so fast. That shows how much better it really is. What will be in place of the camshaft? I can't imagine solenoid operated valves so what will operate them? Now I am curious I can also smell a non-catalytic converter car. I hate that smell too, where you have to turn off the fan so you don't inhale the nastyness.

VA

11-05-03, 04:57 AM   #10  
carguyinva

i second the coolant sensor on this one...altho i have seen some ford coils fail and I like mike's test, but mostly it's either dead or ok...ford makes a nifty temp conversion/resistance chart, since they didn't supply data, it's the only way to test for accuracy of the sensor. so...find the conversion chart and take your ohm meter out on a cold morning and see what temp the ECA "thinks" the engine is at...if it thinks it's warmer than it really is, it won't squirt enough fuel to start or run properly. and as for your question about camless engines...they will be solenoid operated but we'll have to have 42 volt systems first...12 volt systems don't provide enough electrical pressure to move the hefty solenoids it will take to overcome those stout valve springs...speed of valve opening is critical

Visiting Guest

11-05-03, 09:30 AM   #11  
Joe_F
Remind me not to go to "How Stuff Works" LOL.

The 1991 Grand Wagoneer was also carbureted. Had a Motorcraft 2150 on its 360 engine. Basically the same as it had used in previous years.

Some export Chryslers (called KDX vehicles) had carburetors too.

Original poster, have you solved the problem?

Visiting Guest

11-05-03, 02:37 PM   #12  
KurtDixon
I should email the owner
I have seen a couple other mistakes on the site as well. But it is good for basic understanding of "howstuffworks"

Visiting Guest

11-20-03, 04:56 AM   #13  
sljim
replaced coolant sensor then it got warm so couldn't know if it worked got cool again no start pulled air tempature sensor last night it was very dirty will replace tonight let you know if it fixes it if it doesn't I'm lost any ideas will be great

Visiting Guest

11-28-03, 05:11 AM   #14  
sljim
replaced air charge temperture sensor tryed this morning temperture was 0 degrees started up no problems

Search this Thread