Interior Painting

Old 11-04-03, 12:08 PM
turbostevea
Visiting Guest
Question Interior Painting

Does anyone know of or can you recommend a good URL that explains how to paint plastic? I am going to attempt to upgrade some of my interior auto parts to aluminum silver. I have priced the plastic replacements and they are outrageous! So I figure if they can paint them - then why can't I?? Any help or ideas would be great - Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-03, 12:47 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Best left to a professional. They are really dyed, not painted.

It will look hokey and come undone easily if not done right.

Old 11-04-03, 12:56 PM
turbostevea
Visiting Guest
Interior Painting

Thanks Joe - any recommendations as to who I could call?

I have read quite a bit about Airbrushing, and painting Plastic Fenders - if the prep work and proper materials were used (flex agents, clear coats, etc.) do you think it would still not come out good? The cost to buy the parts is around $1200 so I am willing to do what I need to get this done for less. Thank you

Old 11-04-03, 12:57 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Any interior trim shop can handle it. What type of car?

I'm doing all the plastic over on the inside of my 1979 Trans Am. About half is still available from GM, and I paid probably 1/3 of what you were quoted.

If the originals are in good shape, have them freshened up.

Old 11-04-03, 01:11 PM
turbostevea
Visiting Guest
Interior Painting

The car is a 2001 Porsche Turbo and I can't get anything for this thing cheaply - oh well!

When you say interior trim shop - would this be an auto upholstery shop? The body shops in town - I don't think I would trust with this. I am willing to ship the parts to someone if they can do it right - otherwise I will read a lot and try it myself (small hidden part first for a test). Thank you for inputs! greatly appreciated!

Old 11-04-03, 07:54 PM
cheapfurcoat
Visiting Guest
Look for a Dr. Vinyl shop.
I found one in Austin. The contact's name is Jeff Jackson.
His phone # is 512-924-4726

Dr Vinyl is a franchise that when the owners and employees are trained right, can do miracles for interiors.
This is who the body shops call and other similar services.

I used to work for a Dr. Vinyl shop 11 years ago. We did some amazing stuff. Ask to see some of his work.
Would still be doing it if there was any future in it for someone that worked for the franchise rather than owning the franchise.
I have thought about buying a franchise locally because I was very good at the craft, (if I do say so myself) but could never come up with the scratch to do it.

Old 11-04-03, 08:01 PM
jimmymc
Visiting Guest
Plastic parts are not that hard to paint. The key is getting the right adhesion promoter.

Lightly scruff it with a gray scotch-brite

Clean the part with plastic part cleaner

Spray it with adhesion promoter and paint away.

3M makes a good all around plastic adhesion promoter in a spray can.

I don't think I would try to spray the parts with an air brush...it would be hard to wet it enough to get even coverage.

jimmymc

jimmymc

Old 11-04-03, 09:16 PM
fordguy
Visiting Guest
jimmy is right it's not that hard to paint plastic,
i did my mustang interior it turned out great, but you don't use
normal paint, there is a special paint for plastic, it's like a die,
ask about it at your local autobody supply store!!

Old 11-04-03, 09:28 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
when we used to get interior parts from our parts dept, they would come as a beige, if the car was anything else, we would have to paint it. we literally would walk from the parts dept, spray can in hand, and give it maybe two light coats on the bench, you could never tell the difference.

if i did it today, i would use a paint 'prep solvent', to dissolve any fingerprint oils on the surface, but we never did that back then. scuffing up the surface is another good tip too. also, let it dry thoroughly before touching anything.

if you have any doubts, try painting the back of a piece and see how it comes out.

Old 11-05-03, 03:45 AM
I've heard SEM makes a good product. Here is a link that I found with a quick google search: http://www.capitolcitycorvetteclub.c...20interior.htm

Ross

Old 11-05-03, 08:06 AM
turbostevea
Visiting Guest
Thanks guys - lots of great info. On the painting itself - would it be AOK to use an airbrush? I have found I can put down much more uniform applications with this. If I did would I need to thin it down or use as is?

Old 11-05-03, 09:27 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
1200 bones is spit in the bucket if you've got the coin to buy a 2001 Porsche .

Follow the directions to a T on whatever products you use.

Old 11-13-03, 02:55 PM
rwj74
Visiting Guest
Mar Hyde makes an excellent plastic interior paint. Have used it repeatedly...can't do items like seats, steering wheels...will wear through.

Old 11-13-03, 04:10 PM
i'VE done a decent amount of this on my mustang. Make sure you clean everything completely. Perhaps the biggest thing to remember is not to get too heavy on the spray. Hold the can far away, and do many light coats instead of one or two heavy ones.

Don't get carried away with gloss paints. For example I tried a gloss black sample on my center console, and it turned out like a mirror, and did not look factory at all. the key is having a semi gloss-flat color.

It can turn out VERY good, and if you do it right, you can't really tell. However, whatever you do, it will Always be prone to chipping and flaking.

On a 2001 porsche, the last thing I would EVER consider putting on it is a can of spray paint. Fork out the dough for the real parts, sell your old interior parts to help recoupe the cost.

Old 11-13-03, 04:33 PM
turbostevea
Visiting Guest
Plastic Painting

Thanks for the suggestions. Several of you mention that I should just fork out the bucks to buy the factory ones - actually the factoy ones are black plastic painted - aluminum silver! So this is why I am having a hard time spending $1200 (actually it will be more like $1800 for the parts I want). My thought is that if the facorty can paint them - then I should be able to if I do my homework. I did email an airbrush artist that does Motorcycle helmets (which are plastic) and we will do for about $400. But since I have all the paint parts I should be able to do myself (with practice). Thanks