Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Pontiac Bonneville...Will this work?

Visiting Guest

11-04-03, 06:13 PM   #1  
jeff888
Pontiac Bonneville...Will this work?

Can the engine and tranny from an 89 Bonneville be installed in a 93 Bonneville? I have the wiring harness and computer for the 89 so that's not an issue.
Will this work?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

11-04-03, 08:05 PM   #2  
crt8
engine & trans install

The engine & transmission should be the same,just double check engine & trans mount locations.Also you may have to swap some
sensors from engine to the other if the conectors on the car
harness are different.Other than that everytjing else should be
ok.

VA

11-05-03, 05:02 AM   #3  
swapping major assemblies...

...is technically illegal. you'd be in violation of the clean air act. I know it gets done every day, but that don't make it legal...not to mention all the problems it could cause for someone down the road who doesn't know that a major swap has occurred and can't seem to get parts or procedures that match the vehicle correctly

Visiting Guest

11-05-03, 09:23 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Check with any salvage yard that uses the Hollander Interchange system and they will tell you.

Why you'd want to put an old 1989 crusty engine in a 10 year old car is beyond me though....

Visiting Guest

11-05-03, 01:13 PM   #5  
jeff888
Actually Joe, its not a crusty old engine. Both tranny and eng are recently rebuilt, I had it as a spare when I wrote off my 89, and there's a guy looking for one for his 93. Does two good things, he gets a motor and I get more garage room.

Visiting Guest

11-05-03, 01:51 PM   #6  
crt8
engine swap/clean air act

Being from Canada i am not familiar with the U.S. clean air act.But these engines have been virtually unchanged for a few years.If
there are any different emissions related equipment on the 93 engine it should bolt right on to the 89 engine without any problems.

11-05-03, 04:21 PM   #7  
The emissions requirements and standards would be quite different for the year difference. The computer program and related controls would be the biggest thing reflecting these differences. The 93 car would have much higher standards that the 89 engine would be unable to meet. Messing with an emissions certification can be a big deal and prevent it from getting registered if they wanted to get tough. There are always unexpected surprises when tackling a thing like that. One may use Mass air flow and the other a MAP sensor making the air intake completely non conforming to point out just one possible example. Things like axles being different are among many other possibilities of future problerms. It's not a smart project to tackle these days.

Visiting Guest

11-05-03, 04:26 PM   #8  
mikejmerritt
carguyinva, you bring up an interesting point, care to point us were such as this comes from? If the car were to pass emissions tests for the state it was registered how would it be illegal?

Visiting Guest

11-05-03, 09:32 PM   #9  
mike from nj
i just looked through my inspector's book and chose not to read every single word, but i remember hearing/reading somewhere that an older engine cannot be installed into a newer model year car. just because it passes an emissions test doesn't mean it's compliant within the letter of the law.

in reality---no one will ever know, no one will ever even look to see if it's right or not. what they're trying to avoid is someone taking out their efi v8 and putting something from the 70's in there, like a carb, points, no cat converter, non-overdrive trans powertrain.

all i would do for this swap is treat the older 89 engine as a long block/trans for the newer car, reuse the original intake/exhaust/sensors/computer/wiring that is original to the 93 car. you'd basically be swapping the mechanical part of the engine as well as the trans.

VA

11-06-03, 05:31 AM   #10  
emission violation

mike...desi said it perfectly...you can't deviate from the original emission configuration of a vehicle in any way. that includes but is not limited to major component swaps because of the examples that desi previously stated. the minor changes you would never even consider from model year to model year could include slight differences in combustion chamber shape, configuration, or volume...camshaft differences...anything at all that COULD alter emissions is part of the original emission design of a particular powertrain combination and is the way the vehicle was certified for sale in the US and cannot be altered legally. i realize this is becomes an enforcement issue and that rarely happens...so swapping goes on every day without real acknowledgement of the law because there are no consequences. for the professional, it can create serious liability issues...i only brought it up so that the person who is considering the proposition knows all the facts.

Visiting Guest

11-06-03, 06:52 AM   #11  
Joe_F
1993 uses a 4T60E, while a 1989 uses a 440T4, there goes that idea......

Again, use the 1993 era engine rebuilt to stock specs. There are differences between these 3.8's over the years.

Mike Merritt: I could get a 400 Pontiac engine ("Legal" through 1979) to pass in a 1981 Trans Am with flying colors. Because Pontiac never made a 1981 Trans Am with a 400, this is "illegal".

1979 engines don't meet 1980 emission standards. Would anyone know per se? Probably not. LOL.

Search this Thread