Trunk Hinges?

Old 11-04-03, 07:12 PM
SimK68
Visiting Guest
Question Trunk Hinges?

Hey Joe whats up!? You know my 81' Olds Delta 88? Well, you have to use a broom sitck, or a small broom to hold the big trunk up on mine. And I havent had the chance to really see why it wont stay up by itself, until I got and there and really looked. There are like 2 shock absorbers under the hinges, very HARD to see. They look just like the ones that hold up the glass rear window of a blazor or SUV. How in the world do you replace, much less get the freakin things out??? And the trunk opener in the glovebox wont open it anymore, it clicks yes, but you still have to use the key and turn the lock like crazy.

Thanks a million!!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-03, 07:54 PM
crt8
Visiting Guest
trunk hinge struts

Most gas struts used on hood & trunk hinges have a small clip
warpped around either end.To remove the strut simply use a small flat blade screw driver to pry outwards on the center of the
clip & pull they should come right off.After replacing the struts
lubricate the trunk latch & lock cylinder,& it should start working fine again aswell.hope this helps.

Old 11-05-03, 09:39 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

That is correct. You can get these "Strong Arms" at any parts store. They are about $20 each.

Later on GM went back to torque rods/hinges (such as on my '84 Delta 88).

Those strong arms aren't good at doing their job .

Old 11-05-03, 02:10 PM
SimK68
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by Joe_F
That is correct. You can get these "Strong Arms" at any parts store. They are about $20 each.

Later on GM went back to torque rods/hinges (such as on my '84 Delta 88).

Those strong arms aren't good at doing their job .

Well since ist the exact body style, and trunk, is there a way I could put THOES on instead??

Old 11-06-03, 07:21 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
No. More effort than it's worth including some welding of the body hinges and what not.

Replace 'em with the strong arms or use a broomstick .