driver side door

Old 11-04-03, 11:53 PM
claire26
Visiting Guest
driver side door

Is there an easy, inexpensive way to fix a dropped door?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-03, 01:51 AM
More info

Did you drop it on the ground? were is the damage? and what do you want the end result to look like?

Old 11-05-03, 04:44 AM
dropped door

assuming (i know...a very dangerous thing!) that you mean that the door sags or hangs to low to latch properly, it probably has worn hinge bushings and possibly a worn hinge pin. half of your hinge is mounted on the body and the other half is mounted on the door...the two halves fit together and the hinge pin goes vertically down thru them both, holding them together. there are bushings that should be replaceable and if the wear is severe enough, the pin will also be messed up. best bet is to go to the dealer and see what's available and just buy both, the parts are pretty inexpensive...installing them is another subject. you have to manage the weight of the door and hold it as closely as possible to where it's supposed to go so as not to damage the door and any wiring that might be involved. this is even more critical if it's a two door car as the door can be pretty heavy. you might just have the dealer...or a body shop give you an estimate...having them do it could save you much headache. good luck....

Old 11-05-03, 09:32 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Original poster:

Clarify what you mean by "dropped door".

Old 11-05-03, 02:20 PM
claire26
Visiting Guest
specifics

Okay, I thought you "car crazy" men would understand something as simple as a dropped door (except of course for carguyinva) but if you really need more details here they are. It's a 92 Thunderbird and the drivers side door has dropped a bit so that it doesn't line up anymore to close. I just wanted to know if it was something can be rigged or shimmed until I have the bucks to take to someone to get fixed.

Old 11-05-03, 02:51 PM
KurtDixon
Visiting Guest
Probably easier to just fix it the first time (properly)
BTW it is really a waste of time when people give advice that has NOTHING to do with the question (like if we started talking about the hinge pin and you did in fact drop the door on the ground somehow, then it would have been wasted time.)

Old 11-05-03, 04:29 PM
I have another way of correcting that . I'm sure many of you will think it's dumb but believe me. I have done this many, many times with success.

Open the door half way. Take a floor jack and a block of wood. Place the jack under the edge of the door near the rear and place the block of wood on the flat portion at the bottom of the door. Now jack up against the block of wood until the car starts to lean a little. It will help if you put a little weight on the rear qtr. to help it along. Do this a little at a time until the door hits the striker in the center. Be careful not to go too far. It will bend the hinge mount just enough to compensate for the wear. Of course this is not a long term fix but works great for the short term.

Old 11-05-03, 06:40 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Find a good jack, Some rags for cushioning, a good helper and replace the hinge pins and hardware. Probably under 20 bucks for one door. If it has a small spring on the bottom hinge, for best results, you will need to rent or purchase a spring compressor.

Old 11-06-03, 07:16 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You either have wasted hinge pins (If serviceable) or you have wasted hinges. Assess the problem and go from there.

Open the door halfway. Grab it on edge. Move up and down. Feel slop in the door? If you do, wasted hinges/pins. Throw them out and replace with new parts and realign the door.

There is no fix but the right one.

I can assist and provide good information when the original problem is clear and the details are there.

Dropped door tells me nothing as the other posters have already stated.

Old 11-06-03, 07:55 AM
craziness

first of all...we're not "car crazy men"...at least not all of us...those of us that are professionals in this complicated field take fixing stuff and fixing it right pretty seriously...that's why all the flap....as for your door...it should be repaired if possible, not jacked up to compensate for very worn parts. most saggy doors can be repaired without replacing hinges, it's way cheaper but it depends on depends on the amount of wear. replacing hinges is a real pain. to keep it from happening in the future to ANY car...keep the hinges well lubed. good luck...