Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Wet Floor

MI

11-05-03, 08:25 AM   #1  
Wet Floor

OK, I still have my 91 Colt and it is running fine after replacing most of the front end. However, now I find that after a good rain, the driver's side floor is wet. From what I can see and have examined, the water is not coming from anything visible (doors, sunroof, or top of windshield). Where could this water be coming from, and how would I fix it?

In advance and with pure gratitude for what you guys do on this site., thanks!

Ian K

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

11-05-03, 09:25 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Rust, leaky body seams, bad weatherstripping, etc, etc.

Have someone soak it with a hose while you inspect the various places it could be coming with a flashlight. It can be hard to find. Correct as necessary.

MI

11-05-03, 01:50 PM   #3  
hardly any rust on this car. Any water getting in must be coming from drainage off the windshield.

I just realized I had a new clutch installed last year. I wonder if those guys screwed up on some seal.

11-05-03, 04:34 PM   #4  
You'll probably find it's the windsheild or the sunroof. The water will follow the body lines and enter the vehicle far under the dash or in an area you'd never expect to find it. You'll have to follow the water stain to it's origen which may surprise you.

Visiting Guest

11-05-03, 09:45 PM   #5  
mike from nj
it sure may surprise you, neons with a wet floor leak from the 'tailights' gasket. my last car would only leak if i parked it at a certain angle, then it would come in through the cowl, early 90's caravans leak from the top of the windshield, yet the leak is at the back of the car along the drip rail seam!

unless you actually see water dripping, it's going to be fun finding it.

most sunroof drains are a little hose in the bottom of the front door jamb, usually near the hinges. if this clogs with leaves, it will back up and run down wherever it can.

the proper procedure, it to take a garden hose, without the nozzle, get about a six inch stream, and have someone work it along every possible seam/gasket/opening or anything starting at the bottom of each one and slowly working up, while YOU are inside with a flashlight. as soon as you see water, yell to your buddy to stop, and where he last pointed the hose is usually the leak, that's why you start low and work up.

if this is the car with the rusted tailight socket, you might want to start back there.

(the clutch had nothing to do with the leak)

Visiting Guest

11-06-03, 06:02 AM   #6  
jimmymc
A trick for finding body water leaks.

You need soapy water that makes lots of bubbles.

Roll up all the windows and turn the heater/AC on high speed/outside air.

This slightly pressurizes the car...soak the outside suspected area with the soapy water...growing bubbles will appear on any leaking area.

You can also use an air hose and blower for spot checks. Blow inside around suspected area...look for bubbles on the outside.

jimmymc

Visiting Guest

11-06-03, 06:32 AM   #7  
Joe_F
I have seen that same leak procedure in the GM shop manuals. They give you a parts list to make this overhead shower type apparatus. It's a trip. LOL.

Search this Thread