1990 cadillac deville

Old 11-22-03, 03:25 PM
otel800
Visiting Guest
Unhappy 1990 cadillac deville

ac/clutch burned out is it difficult to replace??? reason is my belt burned of and the ac/clutch does not turn. so in order for me to replace belt i think u need to replace ac/ pully?????

help need answers!!!!??????

Old 11-22-03, 03:56 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You need a complete compressor and pulley assenbly.You also need to flush the system and replace the accumulator.Adding oil will be needed to the specs for your car.The orifice will need replaced also.Be very careful around refrigerant gases,they can cause blindness and in some cases death to people that don't handle them properly.My advice is take the car to a shop have the refrigerant reclaimed then proceed with the repair.It is bad stuff although most diyers don't think so.I think refrigerant should not be sold to the public.

Old 11-22-03, 04:04 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
If you never did this before, have the proper equip. Which is several bucks, You need to hire this one out. It will cost you some bucks. Cheaper in the long run to buy the entire compressor unit, and you will probably get a 1 year warranty on the job. With a "NEW" compressor, look at 700 bucks to start with. Then add labor and odds and ends.

Old 11-23-03, 07:17 AM
B
What depends here is if the pulley won't turn due to a failed pulley bearing, or if the crankshaft is seized inside the compressor. In theory, if the crank is seized, the pulley should still spin with the clutch in an un-energized state. With the belt off and the ignition off, will the pulley spin? This might be a clue.
If it doesn't, it could be the pulley bearing is failed, and this is a relatively minor repair. This is unless the pulley spun on the bearing mounting surface, then the compressor would need replacement. Also, if the failure is external to the refrigerant system , the freon in not contaminated, and the system flush isn't necessary.....additionally, GM does not recommend the flushing procedure except for in extreme cases, it prefers the installation of a high side filter.....see the dealer, they have the special tool kit to put one of those in.....

Old 11-23-03, 07:29 AM
That compressor definately does need to be replaced. The only failure that wasn't compressor induced would be a pully bearing failure that not only would have given lots of notice but would have overheated the front seal enough to ruin it. If this is an "HR" or an 'R4" type, I don't think you can buy a clutch separately for it anyway Clutches generally fail due to pushing too much resistance either due to pressure or siezing. Either way, flushing is a good thing. The dealer doesn't like to do it a lot because of enviormental reasons. They are required to capture everything. If the oriface tube has any junk on it then you can bet it's in the condensor also and will plug the tube again. Some condensors are "bypass" type and can't be flushed anyway. Those have to be replaced if you find any junk in the O-tube

Old 11-23-03, 07:37 AM
B
Suffice it to say, Desi, I disagree.....

Old 11-23-03, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by bigguy05641
Suffice it to say, Desi, I disagree.....
I spent a few years in A/C only shops and my experience is that if you try to replace a clutch only on that compressor, your going to get a comeback. If it's an "HR" style, I believe it's pressed on anyway. It's just a can of worms to try to repair that compressor.
If the compressor truly did start to come apart, a flush or a new condensor will be necessary.

Old 11-23-03, 07:54 AM
B
Desi, to conclude that the compressor needs to be replaced with out knowing the specifics of what failed precisely might be a financial blow to somebody with out deep pockets( like me ). All I suggest is to know for sure the compressor needs replacement. And the reasons for not flushing is more of a "the ends don't justify the means" mentality, in that the flushing procedure does not produce enough results. The high side filter is now recommended. And it isn't for environmental reasons, we capture, and recycle everything, no matter what the reason for having to discharge a system. But in the big picture, the compressor on a 13 year old caddy is probably whipped anyway. Only if it was my car, I would need to eyeball the failure so I could justify spending the big bucks on the new unit.
Oh yeah, and a clutch failure isn't going to contaminate the system anyway.....

Old 11-23-03, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by bigguy05641

Oh yeah, and a clutch failure isn't going to contaminate the system anyway.....
It will if it failed due to compressor resistance like most do.
If the coil got weak and caused slippage, it would have gotten hot enough to take out the front seal too. Bottom line is that compressor is no longer reliable after experiencining a clutch failure and could lead to even higher expenses if re-used.

The one exception I would make is if the clutch failed for completely electrical reasons and didn't experience any slippage. It's still not financially practical though and now you have to deal with the issue that if you subsequently need a compressor, you can't buy it without a clutch and your stuck with 2.

Last edited by Desi501; 11-23-03 at 08:43 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: